Fridge Conversion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcayer

Reaction score
Alright, I've read a whole bunch of posts and find myself a bit confused, so I'll spell out what I would like to do and hopefully someone will have some good advice.
I have an old fridge/freezer, full size, from my kitchen. I would like to convert it to a kegerator.
I already have 1 keg and a 20lb CO2 tank.
I would like the fridge to handle 3 or 4 kegs, so that means 3 or 4 taps on the outside.

What do I need and what is the cheapest way to accomplish it?
Do I store the CO2 tank in the fridge, or outside the fridge?

Thanks in advance.

I'd go to kegconnection.com and get the 4-spigot kit minus the CO2 tank. I'm gonna do a similar (2-spigot) thing with a smaller fridge.

I'll be mounting my tank outside the fridge to save space and maximize usable gas from the (room temperature) cylinder.

The cheapest and easiest way is to use "Picnick" or "Cobra" taps. These are the "keg party" plastic taps.

Just finished mine, here's a pic and a list of components below. CO2 Tank on the outside is my preference as it allows me to put 5 kegs inside, for either serving or carbing or lagering.

DSCF0186.JPG

5 - Corney Kegs @ $27 each: $135
4 - Cheap Tap/Shank Combos @ $35 each: $140 (LHBS)
1 - 4 way CO2 manifold: $48.95 (LHBS)
1 - Stainless 19" drip tray: $17 shipped (barproducts.com)
5 - Ball Lock Gas/In QD's @ $7 each: $35
5 - Ball Lock Beer/Out QD's @ $7 each: $35
5 - 10' sections of 3/16" beer line - $.60/ft: $30
5 - 3' sections of 5/16" air line - $.55/ft: $8.25
16 - SS 1/4" hose clamps - $.20 each: $3.20

1 - Dual Pressue CO2 Regulator: (steal on CL)
CORNELIUS Pressure Regulator Assembly 620709826 NEW - eBay (item 290253442271 end time Jun-10-09 20:48:56 PDT)
1 - 20# CO2 Tank: (steal on CL)
1 - Fridge: $35 on CL
2 - Cans of Krylon Black enamel spraypaint: $7

I think that's it...

I created a list yesterday and it matches yours pretty well. My question is, is the manifold worth it? For less than $5, I can get a 4 way splitter to split the CO2. What's the difference?

Just finished mine, here's a pic and a list of components below. CO2 Tank on the outside is my preference as it allows me to put 5 kegs inside, for either serving or carbing or lagering.

How big is your fridge? I have a GE 18 cu ft fridge with a top freezer. I was wondering how many kegs can I fit inside?

I created a list yesterday and it matches yours pretty well. My question is, is the manifold worth it? For less than $5, I can get a 4 way splitter to split the CO2. What's the difference?

with the manifold you can turn the gas off to each product line. the 4 way is either all on or all off. If you have a gas QD that leaks slightly past the pin valve you would not be able to turn it off. That pinvalve is not an issue while on a keg.

So the big difference is just the ability to turn each one off. So to start, I could use the 4 way and then invest in the manifold in the future. As it is, convincing the wife to drop a couple hundred on this might be a little challenging. Adding the manifold brings it up to $250. So maybe the T to start with and an eye on the manifold in the not to distant future.

How big is your fridge? I have a GE 18 cu ft fridge with a top freezer. I was wondering how many kegs can I fit inside?

It's a small one, I think 3/4 size. It is only about 5' tall, but I'm not sure about the sq. footage of it. If your fridge is full size you'll be able to get at least 5 kegs, maybe 6 depending on the layout.

Go for it! Just make sure it is leakproof, that is the important thing. I had a bunch of stainless steel tees there for a while, and while they worked great I just wanted something that was better. The manifold I got has 4 valves and 4 backflow valves as well. Plus, it's purdy!

Back