Just had a month old Chimay Blue...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Endovelico

Reaction score
Forgot to close this one, so it spent a full month on the fridge.
Today i tasted it and it was just fowl, it was turning into a brownish color and it tasted like liquid feces. It actually had a strong semi-pleaseant smell (compared to the rest) of Cider / Apples.

My question is, what exactly is most likely to have happened? I thought that once fermented the acidic / alcoholic nature of the brew made it impossible to be "infected" by wild yeast and Bacteria.

Hmm interesting. Is the Apple aroma common in Oxidized beer?

Yeah i actually reread Palmers book a couple of times, its just that i never got that sort of taste/aroma combination on a beer before. Maybe it was an Oxidation / infection combo.

Forgot to close this one, so it spent a full month on the fridge.
Today i tasted it and it was just fowl, it was turning into a brownish color and it tasted like liquid feces. It actually had a strong semi-pleaseant smell (compared to the rest) of Cider / Apples.

My question is, what exactly is most likely to have happened? I thought that once fermented the acidic / alcoholic nature of the brew made it impossible to be "infected" by wild yeast and Bacteria.

What does that mean "forgot to close this one" and "spent a month on the fridge" Do you mean you left an open bottle sitting on top of your fridge?

and "tasted . . . fowl"? Like chicken? JK on this last comment ;)

No it is not at all impossible to infect a fermented beer. There are plenty of types of spores and wild yeasts and bacteria that can turn an unprotected beer foul. Besides, the alcohol will evaporate out of an opened beer.

What does that mean "forgot to close this one" and "spent a month on the fridge" Do you mean you left an open bottle sitting on top of your fridge?

and "tasted . . . fowl"? Like chicken? JK on this last comment ;)

No it is not at all impossible to infect a fermented beer. There are plenty of types of spores and wild yeasts and bacteria that can turn an unprotected beer foul. Besides, the alcohol will evaporate out of an opened beer.

More like in the back of the bridge; But yeah i left it open for a month or so (well technically it wasnt me) ...

The closest descriptor i can come up with would be something like "Sour Ash tray with pidgeon poop". But like i said the Aroma was actually really pleseant.

You make very good points though, thanks for the reply.

Yuck! Sounds like it acted just like a box of baking soda and absorbed all the other smells and flavors you might have in your fridge. Even if it was closed, I don't think I would have tried it!

Fermented beer can be infected by several organism that will make it taste quite bad. However none of these are human pathogens. So you won't die from drinking the beer but it may taste bad. However it doesn't take an infection to make it taste bad. A flat oxidized beer will also taste pretty bad.

The part about pathogens was important in ancient times because pathogens can survive in fresh water and due to sanitary practices at the time drinking the water could make you quite ill or kill you. Beer was safer.

Craig

Fermented beer can be infected by several organism that will make it taste quite bad. However none of these are human pathogens. So you won't die from drinking the beer but it may taste bad. However it doesn't take an infection to make it taste bad. A flat oxidized beer will also taste pretty bad.

The part about pathogens was important in ancient times because pathogens can survive in fresh water and due to sanitary practices at the time drinking the water could make you quite ill or kill you. Beer was safer.

Craig

That was basically what i said when i was daring everyone at the house to drink the stuff in one of my many nerdgasms.

Back