Taste vs alcohol

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

budbo

Beer is good
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I screwed up last week (I do that a lot but hey it's only batch 5) and Brewed a Pale Ale that was supposed to have an SG of 1.048-1.052.. my screw up was leaving my yeast starter DME bag in the Box with my brew DME bags, and drinking from batch 2 while brewing.. So I'm adding the DME and end up putting an extra 3/4 pound of DME.. I called the local Brew shop guy "Friendly Frank" and he said no problem just add 5 min to the boil (to get more bittering) and add a little more water to dilute the wort. I also got called away while sparging the grains (1lb) so they soaked at 150 degrees about 45 min longer than called for (thinking got better efficiency out of them)

I ended up with an SG of 1.076.. I dilluted it to 1.060.. I racked it yesterday into the secondary with 1.013 it is still bubbling the airlock about every 8 seconds.. so I'm thinking I'm going to get a pretty high ABV.. This was a repeat of my first kit but I did it ala carte using a different hop to get a little more bitterness... How will this affect the taste?

If my questions seem dumb forgive me..I have brewed tasty enough ones to get the wife to let me buy shelves and a deepsink in the basement (she likes bitter lagers).. until I brew a "spectacular batch" no way I'm going to be able to buy kegging equipment without a months of bitching and no sex :(

My ultimate goal is an exhaust hood in the basement and tapping the line to the water heater and furnace for a natural gas burner near the sink.

budbo said:
the wife let me buy shelves and a deepsink in the basement

My ultimate goal is an exhaust hood in the basement and tapping the line to the water heater and furnace for a natural gas burner near the sink.

wow shelves? you must have a prenup...;)

i dont think 3/4 lb. of dme would do much but increas the alcohol by 1/2 point (1 lb=1/2 point) i dont know how you got an og of 1.076 from a theoretical of 1.052.

since you watered it down to 1.060 that is on the strong side but a good apa og.

i wouldnt worry, dont think of them as mistakes but more like unintentional improvisations...you could have the best beer ever on your hands, which you might want to duplicate some day, turning your mistakes into 'proceedures'

budbo said:
How will this affect the taste?
Your beer should taste fine...maybe a little maltier than you were looking for, with a little more alcohol warmth.

budbo said:
until I brew a "spectacular batch" no way I'm going to be able to buy kegging equipment without a months of bitching and no sex :(
You haven't been married long, have you? ;) A month is easy...after 20+ years even six months is no problem. :D

Women seem to like English Milds and fruit ciders. Has something to do with the number of sweet vs. bitter receptors.

You haven't been married long, have you?
16 years... I so scored since posting The fawcet on the kitchen sink went bad.. I told the wife OK NP I'll go to Home Depot and get a new one.... "well I want a different sink" OK but no way am I doing the plumbing going from a double sink to a single big one, especially with a disposal.. I want a pro to do that install.. and while we are paying for a master plumber we may as well get the deepsink installed in the basement while he is here... she bought it.. my "brew Haus" basement is halfway home :)

:off:
Hey El Pistolero,
I just heard the news that Don Knotts passed away today. Truly a sad day for us folks who grew up watching Barny Fife.

That is sad but why de-rail my post with it? If you take the time to actually read about him you will find the world lost a talented comedian and good person, not just Barney Fife

budbo said:
That is sad but why de-rail my post with it? If you take the time to actually read about him you will find the world lost a talented comedian and good person, not just Barney Fife
Chill budbo...I don't think RB's mention of Knotts passing "de-railed your post". R...HAHB. ;)

Back