How To: Continuous Hopping?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dirtymike1

Reaction score
Insteed of just asking questions without researching, I've spent the better part of my day at work looking around the forum. But to no avail did I find the answer, or at least a good expliantion of continuous hopping.

I want to start a batch of IPA next week, and I have fallen in love with the Dog Fishhead 120 minute IPA, so much in fact I bought the last 4 bottles known to be in my area.

So how can I try to achieve this holy grail of IPA's and the continuous hopping process?

Hoping for a cheers real soon.
:mug:

A chair, a radio, a few homebrews and some good aim when you're throwing the hops into the kettle.

Seriously, it is the easiest way.

Seems to me like its more a question of how continuous you really want to do it, or how you want to define "continuous" in your process...

You could get enough hops for the IBUs you want...and basically just divided the quantity by 60 and hop the wort every minute...or by 30 and every other minute, etc...

Continuous hopping is only a small part of the battle if you're trying to clone the 120. I think all their IPA's (60, 90, 120) are continuously hopped, so I'd suggest starting with the 60 or 90---Yooper's got a great 60 clone recipe. When you're ready to move to the next level, post another thread or revive this one, because there's a whole lot more to talk about with regards to producing a beer around 20% ABV (which is what I think theirs clocks in around).

Practically speaking, you won't tell the difference between making small additions every few minutes (every five or ten minutes for the early additions) and "continuous" additions.

If you want to be historically accurate, first you'll have to score one of those old vibrating football game tables...

So, after I add the bittering hops (2oz. cascade in this case) I will continue to add hops after the wort returns to a boil? And I do this for the 55 minutes that the recipe states? Over the course how much should I add. NOTE: I am NOT trying to clone the 120, but more like the 60. So I will add _____ amount of hops during this 60 minutes correct? What would happen if I just added the whole amount of hops in the being. I.e. insteed of the 2oz. of hops, I add 3 to start, what affect would this have verses adding the extra oz. though out the hour.

You guys are a god send!!!

I've you're interested in making a clone of the 60, I have the recipe in my drop-down. The AG is first, the extract is around post #27 or so.

What I do is add about 1/2 the 60 minute hops at the beginning of the boil, and then just stand there and add a pellet or two at a time, until I'm at the next hops addition. I try to time it so I run out of warrior hops when it's time to start with the others. I mix up the others and add them a couple of pellets at a time.

It sounds tedius, but it isn't. If you read through the thread, you'll see how others have done it.

As Bird alluded, Sam Calagione started off using one of those great ol' football games to continuously shake a bit of hops into the brew. To this day, DFH still uses a vibrating chute of sorts to acheive the same result. If you want to try and rig up something like that, it might be a fun project.

It might also be a royal PITA. If you think that is the case, check out Yoop's thread. It's great!

TL

Walker-San's Kaduva IPA does a more-or-less continual hopping (Cascade and Northern Brewer); that's an awesome beer, one of the first I made where I really said "DAMN - Nailed it!"

Back