lack of carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmulligan

Reaction score
This may be mildly premature, but I just wanted to bounce my concern off of more experienced brewers while I am waiting.

My first beer is not carbonating very much (a milk stout - my recipe is the second entry on this page: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=40262&page=2 ).

The beer sat in primary for 1 week, secondary for 3 weeks, and has now been in the bottle for nearly 3.5 weeks at 69-70 degrees F. When I opened a bottle this past Sunday, I got a miniscule fizz sound (barely anything), and the carbonation is pretty meek. I have been racking my brain to assure myself that I added the priming sugar solution, so that isn't the problem. And none of the bottles have exploded, so I figure it's not a case of some being under-primed, and other being over-primed.

Any thoughts? I really want this to be ready for Christmas, and I am willing to wait until then for them to carb up. But, if they haven't carbed yet (at least, not appreciably), should I try to re-prime? Or add more yeast and re-prime?

Any thoughts are appreciated (even the inevitable replies of "have patience!"). :mug:

Honestly, in my experience, if it's not carb'd within 10 days, it's probably not going to be carb'd. I've run into lackluster carbo problems many a time, and here's what I'd do if I were you:

Buy some carb tabs made by Munton's (not Coopers). Take 6 bottles randomly (RANDOMLY!!!) from various parts of your cases. Uncap 4 of them. In two of them, add 3 carb tabs. In the other two, sprinkle a small amount of dry yeast into the bottle. Recap these 4 bottles. The remaining two stay capped, but shake them up. Be sure to mark each type of bottle (original, new yeast, carb tabs) on the cap.

Take all 6 bottles and put them in a warm place. At least in the mid 70's. Leave for 1 week, and take one of each "kind" of bottle and chill them down. Then open them up and see how they did. Whichever method worked best, that's what you'll need to do for the rest of the bottles. Hopefully it's just a case of shaking them up and putting them in a warmer place.

Being a scientist, I like your methodical approach. :)

I will give it a shot. I am willing to get the carb tabs, but would I also be able to just calculate how much dextrose I'd want to add to a single bottle (not the normal full-prime amount), and make a syrup for it?

12921-sparging.jpg

Are you the girl with the boil-over in the Sam Adams commercials?

olllllo said:
Everything capped tight?
Did you stir the priming sugar in the bottling bucket?

As far as I know, the caps were tight. I used a combination of regular beer bottles and caps, as well as plastic bottles and tightened down plastic caps. Some hard cider that I bottled the same day has carbonated without any problem, so my method of capping shouldn't be the issue.

I did stir the priming sugar syrup in the bottling bucket (although I did not pour the beer ONTO the priming syrup as I'd meant to).

jmulligan said:
Being a scientist, I like your methodical approach. :)

I will give it a shot. I am willing to get the carb tabs, but would I also be able to just calculate how much dextrose I'd want to add to a single bottle (not the normal full-prime amount), and make a syrup for it?

Sure, you could do that, but you have much less control and I wouldn't trust it. Carb tabs are cheap and easy to use. Just make sure you get the Muntons.

Evan! said:
Sure, you could do that, but you have much less control and I wouldn't trust it. Carb tabs are cheap and easy to use. Just make sure you get the Muntons.

Ok, I am browsing the homebrew supply shop website as I type. Just one question, I have come across some comments that the carb tabs leave white chunks in the beer. One person suggested it was the heading powder in the tabs that causes this. Have you had this problem? Could I possibly avoid the issue by crushing the tabs to powder and THEN adding it to the bottle? Thanks for your help!

I think that might come from the DME in the carb tabs. Occasionally, I prime with DME and there might be a wee little ring in the neck. I wouldn't worry about it- I've used those carb tabs a few times and it was fine!

Evan! said:

You referenced to not use Cooper's. Just curious as to why?

I use the priming sugar to carbonate my brew but got a bag of Cooper's carb drops for the Apfelwein I'm brewing this weekend.

Ok, time for an update.

I tried the experiment of adding yeast to 2 bottles, adding Munton's carb tabs to 2 bottles, and just resuspending the yeast in 2 bottles by gently shaking, and ALL have carbonated.

I opened one of the bottles that I just gently shook, and its carbonation was pretty good. I then opened one of the Munton's bottles, and it was WAY too fizzy for a stout, but at least I know the carb tabs worked. I haven't opened either of the added yeast ones yet.

So long story short, all of the rest of my beer should carbonate, as long as I resuspend the yeast and stick them someplace warm for a week.

Thanks for all your help!

There's been a lot of carbing problems lately around here (myself included). I really think it's been a temp issue. In the fermenter we need to put the brakes on and try to get those yeasties to take their time by keeping temp in the 60's. But by the time our beer get's to the bottle getting the yeast to carb it is like trying to drag a teenager out of bed to go to school on exam day! So we need to get the temps up into the 70's. Glad to hear you figured out what to do. Just think, if you had reprimed and warmed all the bottles. You may very well have ended up with some grenades.

jmulligan said:
...I opened one of the bottles that I just gently shook, and its carbonation was pretty good......So long story short, all of the rest of my beer should carbonate, as long as I resuspend the yeast and stick them someplace warm for a week.

Thanks for all your help!
Sorry I missed this thread.

My mantra for carbing bottles:

72 degree storage.
Rock the cases gently every other day.
Give them 21 full days before testing.
Once the carb levels are right, get the beers either chilled, or to a cooler location to retard further carbonation.

To add on to BierMuncher comments.

If you buy corn sugar in bulk make sure you weigh out 5oz or 1oz/ gal. I think people tend to have carbing problems if the go w/ the 3/4 cup rule of thumb.

You can fill a cup with corn sugar and tamp it down to almost 3/4's. Weighing it is more accurate.

I also do the rocking thing too.

Thanks for all of the additional hints and such. Considering this was my first batch of beer, I'm glad to know it will be turning out all right! :ban:

I had a batch that failed to carb for 2 months. I let it sit for another 6 months in the basement and now it is perfect!

Schlenkerla said:
To add on to BierMuncher comments.

If you buy corn sugar in bulk make sure you weigh out 5oz or 1oz/ gal. I think people tend to have carbing problems if the go w/ the 3/4 cup rule of thumb.

You can fill a cup with corn sugar and tamp it down to almost 3/4's. Weighing it is more accurate.

I also do the rocking thing too.
Heh. I asked the home brew store for 5oz of corn sugar, and it came out to 1.125 cups (No I didn't pack it down.)! I really hope it is 5oz, otherwise I'm looking at some really over-carbonated beer and possible bottle bombs.

Worst case scenario, it's 3.2 volumes of CO2. Best case scenario, it's 2.7 volumes of CO2. I used Sam Adams bottles, so I suppose I'm safe up to 3.5. Right? Someone please calm my fears. :eek:

Next purchase is going to be a small scale.

You'll be fine. Problems start when you get over twice the normal amount of priming sugar. In the mean time keep you eye out for a digital scale. They can be found fairly cheaply and if/when you decide to go all grain, they come in real handy.

shafferpilot said:
You'll be fine. Problems start when you get over twice the normal amount of priming sugar. In the mean time keep you eye out for a digital scale. They can be found fairly cheaply and if/when you decide to go all grain, they come in real handy.
:rockin: Thanks. I bought a 8 dollar scale for the time being. In a couple of months, I'll buy a good one.

njnear76 said:
:rockin: Thanks. I bought a 8 dollar scale for the time being. In a couple of months, I'll buy a good one.

I said the same thing about a dozen years ago, and I've never bought a "good one." I just have the el cheapo model, spring loaded one pound scale and 10pound scale. Both have served me well for a long time. :D

TL

TexLaw said:
I said the same thing about a dozen years ago, and I've never bought a "good one." I just have the el cheapo model, spring loaded one pound scale and 10pound scale. Both have served me well for a long time. :D
TL

Heh. I thought the 10 pound scale was the good one!

Mike

Back