Clarex (clarity-ferm) enzyme at lager temperatures

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jotakah

Reaction score
I've been using brewer's clarex in all of my batches for about a year and a half now. See other threads (https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f164/clarity-ferm-gluten-testing-gluten-sensitivity-354908/) for an excellent explanation of what it is if you don't know

So, my only experience with learning about enzymes is from genetics classes learning about PCR reactions. It is my understanding that those types of enzymes really only work in NARROW temperature ranges. Also, the enzymes that convert our barleys to fermentable sugars when we mash our wort also have a narrow temperature window (~148-156). This leads me to my question:

Does anybody know the ideal temperature range for this enzyme to work? The directions just say to pitch at fermenting temperatures, and it definitely works at ale temperatures, but I've been lagering a lot lately and I hope it's not too cold for this enzyme to do its job....

Thanks for your input!

Enzymes work best in a narrow range but do operate to a lesser degree on a much larger range. I believe the main component in clarity-ferm is peptidase. There are many different kinds of this protein and they all work in different conditions. I'm sure a company like clarex fortifies these proteins to be used in many applications. These types of clarifying agents are mainly developed for large scale brewing. Many of the larger breweries use lager yeast and/ or lager the beer. I would find it hard to believe they would design a product that doesn't take that into account. It just might make the hyrdolysis process slower.

Back