Advice on wires into a fridge.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhiteEagle1

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I have a standard fridge, freezer on top, that I am making into a fermenting chamber. For heat I am mounting an infrared reptile bulb inside the fridge. My ebay temp controller will be in a project box mounted on the outside of the top of the unit.
My question is, what is the best way to run the power wires to the bulb inside the fridge as well as well as the temp reading wire? I thought about just running the wires over the door frame and putting some duct tape over them.....but worried the fridge door won't seal correctly? Is there a spot anyone has found you can drill a small hole without damaging anything? Or any other ideas?
Thanks!

I have CO2 and temperature probe lines running into both beer fridges through holes drilled through the back, located at the top left corner of the fridge compartment. Before I drilled the holes I got on to a replacement parts web site to check their diagrams for the two fridges to make sure there wasn't anything I was going to hit...

Cheers!

And this is an advantage...how?

The sharp edges left by smacking a punch through thin sheet metal doesn't sound like a great idea when pushing wires through...

Cheers!

If im guessing its because you can maybe have less chance of hitting a coolant line? Or if you do that it wont break it?

Cut a small piece of the interior plastic and feel around with a screw driver before you drill. Then, drill from into the side from the inside. No schematics needed. Last thing you want to do is hit a refrigeration line. Hit one.....and its off to the dump, dump, dump. Worse case scenario this way is you might end up having an extra piece of plastic missing on the inside. Big deal.

Hammy71 said:
Cut a small piece of the interior plastic and feel around with a screw driver before you drill. Then, drill from into the side from the inside. No schematics needed. Last thing you want to do is hit a refrigeration line. Hit one.....and its off to the dump, dump, dump. Worse case scenario this way is you might end up having an extra piece of plastic missing on the inside. Big deal.

This is how I drilled through mine. Much easier than I thought, a razor blade and steady pressure cut right through the interior plastic. Dig out the insulation and drill your hole with no fear of hitting a coolant line.

you dont smack the punch just push it through any lines or wires will be pushed aside.... the metal is very flimsy then wallow out to size. this is for the sides not the back

I can tell you were the wires and lines were on this type

doubles 008.jpg

Tried to do some research online, fridge is too old I guess. Didn't find any info. So just decided to say fu@k it and drilled two 3/8" holes through the hump on the bottom inside. Luckily didn't hit anything. Ran the wires through the back by the compressor and into the fridge. Put a bung in the drilled hole to seal it up. Worked out pretty good! If anyone is interested I can post some pics. Olny thing that pisses me off is that I bought the fridge off c-list with out plugging it in. That thing is loud! It humms, rattles and buzzes....thankfully its used for fermenting and doesn't run all that much....

Back