Austin Homebrew Oaked Arrogant Bastard Clone brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

qrb912

Reaction score
I have brewed the Austin Home Brew Oaked Arrogant Bastard clone brew. I left it in the primary for 10 days. Then I racked it ionto my secondary and added the toasted oak (soaked in some Wild Turkey Rare Breed for a few days to "steralize" ). Wendesday will be 10 days in the secondary. I am going to bottle then. Has any one else brewed this? I am interested in how long to let it age before starting to drink it. I have been told that it will age for a long time and come out better and better the longer you wait. I wopuld be interested in any comments and experances you have had with this one. OAB os my favorait beer of all time. I hope this turne out close to the commerical version.

:mug:

WOW!

I must be the first on in here to try this. Well, I will let you know how it turns out. I bottol tomorrow evening (21 Dec 2011) I will not open ine until 21 March. I will post in here and let everyone know what I think of it.

:mug:

Its a American Ale, the long you wait the better, but I would think it being a 7 something ABV, a month or so in the bottle would be good, then 3-4 day in the frig.

My AB clone (not a kit, but a damm good copy), improved after 6 months in the bottle.

It went into the bottles on Wednesday night. I have 46 twelve oz lovlies to wait on now. I will be sure to post when I drink one and let everyone know how it cam eout and if there are any lessions learned that I need to pass on.

Thanks grb. I had nothing to add to help you, but am anxious to hear how it turns out and what you might change/add. It is refreshing to see someone with questions come back and let everyone know how it turns out.

LOU2ROW:

Thank you too. Conversation is a 2 way street. If only one person is talking it is a lecture. No one likes a lecture. LOL

Qrb912:D

The first beer I did with oak chips was awful when I tried the first bottle, the oak flavor was way over the top. After about 5-6 months the oakiness really mellowed out and I had a nice Firestone Walker DBA clone. I suggest waiting on this one.

This beer is not doing well. I thought it was done and bottled it. I let it sit for over a month. There was no carb to it and it was sweet. I checked a few of them. I had the same results in all of them. I sanitized a fermenter and dipped the top of each bottle in sanitation solution before opening it an pouring it back into the fermenter. I then pitched it with a new yeast and it is fermenting again. LOL I hope this works. It has been going to 3 days now. When it is done, I am going to re-prime it and re-bottle it and see how it goes from there.
Wish me luck. I hope it turns out to be a good beer and not just a wast of time and money. I pitched it with Muntions gold dry yeast this time because I had it on hand. I am not sure what this will do to the flavor, but I just want something I can drink at this point.

Did you have any issues with your yeast when you did it the first time? Did it seem to ferment okay? How were the gravities?

That sucks to have to bottle twice, but it should make beer. And if it is fermenting now it should come out okay, if not exactly like OAB. With the extra issues, I would recommend low and slow. Be patient as it may have picked up some oxidation, had a temp issue at some point, or even picked up a rogue yeast.

WOW - I was thinking of getting this kit tomorrow to get the recipe. I was not a HUGE fan of the non-oaked AB but I tried the Oaked BEFORE they left Wisconsin forever.

And BTW - this is the first time EVER I have heard of someone having to bottle twice!!

I oaked 2 gal of the arrongant bastard clone I found and have it all in bottles for a couple weeks now. Gona wait and try one just before the Super Bowl. Its about 8.5% so it may need more time in the bottles.

i did a ab clone not oaked it turned out pretty good but ab is hopped like an ipa so keeping it around 3-6 monthes seems kinda detremtal to the flavor but i do know it does take time for the oak to mellow but your going to lose hop caracter during that wait

Well, I will let it sit in the bottols for a few months and see what I have. I am dissapounted that it is not turning out right. Iam going to try it again. I don't thing the yeast was in good shape when I pitched it. It never did look like it was fermenting well. I am going to do a yeast started for it nex ttime and see if it does better.

Can someone plz check the thread I started called is this normal and give ms some advice plz thanks :)

I just made one of these 2 weeks ago. OG was 1.066 (a little lower than I wanted) - I plan on keeping it in the primary for 1 month total and in secondary with the oak for 1 week.

I also made a parti gyle with this batch that I dubbed Arrogant Grog. I got around 2 gallons at 1.054.

Old-Ned - per the recipe, when does it call for the Oak cubes and for how long? Can you post everything about the recipe as it pertains to the Oak?

It really isn't very specific on when to do what. It treats the oak as if you were dry hopping - "siphon the beer into the sanitized secondary fermenter." Then says, "Let the beer clarify in the secondary for 5-7 days." It doesn't say anything about preparing the oak. I sanitized the outside of the bag of oak and the scissors. Then, I dumped the cubes and siphoned on top. They floated, and I let it sit two weeks.

It's pretty good. If I were to do it again, I may go 10 days, but I like to do things on Saturdays (7 day increments).

This came out so bad that I do not want to talk about it any more. I still have it in bottles. It ended up tasting liek some sort of bad wine. I am not sure what went wrong, but this did not turn out right. I am going to try it again in the future, but for now ia have4 other things fermenting.

Strong Winter Ale 9%

I am looking forward to this one.

This came out so bad that I do not want to talk about it any more. I still have it in bottles. It ended up tasting liek some sort of bad wine. I am not sure what went wrong, but this did not turn out right. I am going to try it again in the future, but for now ia have4 other things fermenting.

Strong Winter Ale 9%

I am looking forward to this one.

I think your biggest problem was not pitching enough yeast and then rushing it out of the fermenter. The transfer from the bottles back into the fermenter probably oxidized the hell out of it too. The most important things in brewing good beer in my opinion are : pitching an adequate amount of healthy yeast (starter), sanitation, controlling fermentation temps, and patience. You get those down and you will almost always make decent beer

I think your biggest problem was not pitching enough yeast and then rushing it out of the fermenter. The transfer from the bottles back into the fermenter probably oxidized the hell out of it too. The most important things in brewing good beer in my opinion are : pitching an adequate amount of healthy yeast (starter), sanitation, controlling fermentation temps, and patience. You get those down and you will almost always make decent beer

Thanx

grb, wondering how this beer turned out? I'm contemplating my first use of oak chips and the OAB is one of my all time favorites

It came out like crap. I would not use it to clean grease off car parts. I just have not had time to dump it yet. I don't beleive that it is the fault of the kit. I made a few bad decisions when I made it. Givce it a try and I hope that you can have good things to say about it. I am saddened by what I did to it.

:(

sorry to pour salt on the wound...somehow I missed the last 2 pages of this thread. I'll give it a whirl and report back. Thx!

Back