What beer did you want to really like but just didn't?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Probably the one that stands out in my mind, and I'm sure this reflects poorly of my beer "taste", is Alesmith Speedway stout. I had not tasted a beer in quite some time (sad story for sure) when we visited Stone in Escondido. I decided to splurge, having read it was highly thought of. I'm sorry to say it was just too strong for me. After half a glass, I made some college age group very happy with my donation to their education.
I still feel pretty foolish about this and at some point I'll probably give it another try. As I get older, I just find myself gravitating towards more mild beers. If I wanted the heat of alcohol in a stout, I'd probably add everclear to my favorite beer.
This is not to badmouth Alesmith. I had a keg of theirs at my wedding and have enjoyed all the other styles I've tried.

I can understand not enjoying the style. Speedway is a monster of a beer, but it is a beautiful one. But that's why there are so many styles. Everyone has their own taste.

DFH India Brown Ale.

I brewed an India Brown Ale before I realized that DFH had one. When I brewed mine I wanted to take the best of brown ales and combine that with the best of IPAs. Mine came out okay for the first shot at it, but I was expecting something very good out of the people that brought us the 60, 90, and 120 IPAs. When I finally got around to trying it, the beer was bad. Terrible malt flavor and no hop bitterness or flavor.

I recently bought a Magic Hat sampler pack and I really wanted to like each one, but it turned out that I couldn't get on board with any of 'em.

Same here. I don't know what made me so interested in MH or what I thought was so wrong with it, but I remember being very disappointed.

Also Sam Adams Blackberry Wit was really bad, too sweet/syrupy.

Moose Drool from Big Sky Brewery. I thought it was like nicknaming a fat dude Slim, and that the irony was gonna make me chuckle with every sip. Nope. I don't know what the hell that "brown" flavor is or where it comes from, but it makes me queasy just thinking about it. Oh, I still drank the whole sixer, but only when I ran out of good beer.
Conversely, their IPA is quite a treat...

I might get stoned for this, but after reading some of the reviews on HBT I decided to give Sierra Nevada's Celebration Ale a shot. Keep in mind that I am a big Sierra Nevada fan (their Pale Ale is one of my favorite brews), so I was really excited to give this one a shot and figured Christmas Eve would be a perfect time to give it a shot. To keep it short.... it was more disapointing than the year I got no presents from Santa because I blew up the neighbors mailbox.

+1

Tons of people love this beer, and that's cool, but I just don't like the malt or hop flavors. Seems a little cloying to me. I have to admit, though, that I prefer the dryer IPAs in general (eg Stone).

I've found that Celebration is pretty variable from bottle to bottle... very atypical for Sierra Nevada. But find a good bottle of it, and Celebration is great.

DFH Fort I was super excited to try this, it sat in my basement for about a month. I loved Red & White and thought Black & Blue was pretty good so I figured i'd love this. I poured my dad and my self small 4-6oz glasses and after we finished our glasses their was well over half the bottle left....we couldn't bring our selves to finish it. Usually I'll finish anything and chalk it off as "wouldn't go for again" but this was "I wish I never tasted this".

cave creek chile beer it is the worst beer I have ever had drank half of one got sick for three days.It is my kriptinite my friends keep the rest in the fridge to taunt me with it.

style wise, not a fan of Belgian beers, don't usually order them or pay for them so I guess not a terrible dissapointment if I have one

but the beer I wanted to like (and actually drinking one right now for the second or third time) but just isn't doing anything for me: Anchor Steam. Kinda bland, poor head, doesn't taste like quality fresh ingredients...all train no caboose.

Bad Elf Winter Warmer.... I got a 1/4 of the bottle down after and hour and tossed the rest. Tasted like bad Bud with rotten apples. Also was not impressed with Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA. I love hops but it just did not work for me.

my buddies and i cobbled together as many winter beers as we could find (over 40 altogether). Ridgeway's beers were all highly disappointing. Bad Elf, Santa's Butt, etc. Funny names, neat labels, but really disappointing.

A poor representation of an IPA of mine that i tried yesterday....really bad

Alesmith IPA.....sorry, i know

scotch ale

most wheats

Victory Prima Pils and Railbender Ale. I pride myself on supporting all things PA, but I just wasnt a fan of either of these....

Go Troegs!

Oh yea and Franziskaner Dunkel Weiss. Wanted to like it. Paid alot for it. Just cant do it.

This is a great thread. Being a Utahan I have more limited access to a wide variety of beers...stuck with the State liquor store selection. So whenever I am out of town I usually buy a bunch of singles that I can't get in Utah. Many are randomly chosen based on interest or breweries that I like.

Recent huge disappointment...Rogue Chipotle Ale. Not sure what I was thinking when I bought it. Was barely drinkable and only after I started eating chips and salsa with it. Love almost all other Rogue ales but this one will not make my repeat list. Really wanted to like it though....

Recent huge disappointment...Rogue Chipotle Ale. Not sure what I was thinking when I bought it. Was barely drinkable and only after I started eating chips and salsa with it. Love almost all other Rogue ales but this one will not make my repeat list. Really wanted to like it though....

I thought the same, but I tried at their brewery mixed with the stout...it was pretty good that way. Not something I'd have all the time, but tasty nonetheless.

Back