Help with hops harvest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JByer323

Reaction score
First time grower.

Temperatures have been awesome here the last couple of weeks, but the last two days we've broken some serious heat records, and I'm worried I waited too long to harvest my little green cones of happiness. Advice would be appreciated. I realize the picture is huge, I thought it would be helpful if people could see the details.

nGc1z.jpg

The hops in the top... did they get too roasted in the sun, or are they ok to use?

Thanks.

Look OK to me but you need to split them open (or cut them) and look at the lupulin, it should be nice and yellow and about half the way to the outside of the cone. Too young and the lupulin glands are still white, too late and the lupulin is brown. The cones should be papery and sort of crunchy when you squeeze them and they should "spring back" when squeezed.

Look OK to me but you need to split them open (or cut them) and look at the lupulin, it should nice and yellow and about half the way to the outside of the cone. Too young and the lupulin glands are still white, too late and the lupulin is brown. The cones should be papery and sort of crunchy when you squeeze them and they should "spring back" when squeezed.

The lupulin is bright yellow and smells amazing.

So you're saying even the top row is cool to dry and use?

The lupulin is bright yellow and smells amazing.

So you're saying even the top row is cool to dry and use?

Yes, I would say so, in fact the bottom row looks to still be closed, typically they will "open up" before they get papery.

They don't typically all become perfect at the same time in my experience and FYI some browning on the tips is criteria for some to say they are ready:mug:

Back