American Porter Edmund Fitzgerald Porter Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SD-SLIM

Reaction score
Hello All,

I didn't see this recipe in the database so I thought I would post it, because it's a damn fine Porter! This comes from the North American Clone Brews book and is a very close and enjoyable cloned recipe!

Original Gravity = 1057
Final Gravity = 1012
ABV = 5.7%
IBU = 55-60
SRM = 29
Size = 5.25 gallon

ALL GRAIN RECIPE:

8 lbs Pale Malt
.75 lbs Crystal Malt 50l
.5 lbs Chocolate Malt
.5 lbs Roasted Barley

Bring to Boil and add:
7 AAU's of Northern Brewer Hops
Boil 30 minutes then add:
4 AAU's of Fuggles Hops
4 AAU's of Cascade Hops
4 AAU's of Cascade Hops

Cool 5.25 gallons of wort down to 65 degrees and pitch:
Wyeast 1968

Ferment for two weeks, transfer to a secondary and cool condition (50-55 degrees) for 3 to 4 weeks...keg/bottle and drink at (recommended serving temp) 50 degrees!

To figure out how much hops you need, please use this calculator: http://realbeer.com/hops/bcalc_js.html

If you need partial mash or extract conversion let me know!

Thanks for posting this. Edmund Fitz is one of my favorite porters and one of my top 5 favorite beers. This clone looks pretty close. Only things I saw was that GLBC uses Crystal 77 and the Edmund is only hopped to 37IBU's, but this recipe is a good start. With a few modifications this will be a great recipe.

Edmund Fitz ingredient breakdown

I agree...I didnt write it, but after brewing it was pretty darn close. Post what changes/results you get so that I can give it a whirl!

I agree...I didnt write it, but after brewing it was pretty darn close. Post what changes/results you get so that I can give it a whirl!

Will do! Did you happen to do a side by side tasting? I am interested to see how much (if any) hoppier the clone came out.

Will do! Did you happen to do a side by side tasting? I am interested to see how much (if any) hoppier the clone came out.

I didn't do a side by side...sorry it's from memory only, but I dont think you will be disappointed!

danorocks17 said:
I'm thinking about using this recipe as a basis for a vanilla bean porter. What do you guys think?

I think it's a perfect base for that...I assume your gonna submerse the beans in Vodka for a few weeks prior to adding them...if you do, I think the flavors will really complement each other.

I think it's a perfect base for that...I assume your gonna submerse the beans in Vodka for a few weeks prior to adding them...if you do, I think the flavors will really complement each other.

I've never used vanilla beans so i was wondering what I should use. I know some guys use bourbon, and I like bourbon enough i guess, but I was thinking about using vodka or clear rum. Also how many beans do you think would be acceptable. I'd like a fairly prominent vanilla flavor so i was thinking 3 or 4 beans.

danorocks17 said:
I've never used vanilla beans so i was wondering what I should use. I know some guys use bourbon, and I like bourbon enough i guess, but I was thinking about using vodka or clear rum. Also how many beans do you think would be acceptable. I'd like a fairly prominent vanilla flavor so i was thinking 3 or 4 beans.

I would use 2 vanilla beans...keep them submersed in vodka for two weeks, don't forget to make a slit down the center so that the alcohol can penetrate the bean.

danorocks17 said:
sweet, thanks for the tip!! as far as quality of vodka, does it matter??

Just go with the cheap stuff...you will taste the vanilla, not the vodka!

i've used split vanilla beans in a porter. 2 years later, people who drank it are still talking about it. doing another 1 soon. i cut the beans in half and soaked them in vodka for 2 days, then added to brew

Brewed this one up last weekend but changed the yeast to WLP013 London Ale and switched out my first hop addition. I think I used perle, but was pretty buzzed so I would have to look at my notes. Had really good fermentation activity within a few hours that lasted a few days and am really looking forward to this one.

Coldies said:
Brewed this one up last weekend but changed the yeast to WLP013 London Ale and switched out my first hop addition. I think I used perle, but was pretty buzzed so I would have to look at my notes. Had really good fermentation activity within a few hours that lasted a few days and am really looking forward to this one.

Let me know how it finally turns out!

Let me know how it finally turns out!

Will do. My last 2 Porters I used WLP002 so I wanted to change it up a bit. Plus I had some extra Perle, Challenger, and Chinook so I know I used one of them for the bittering.

It came out great. I finally got a chance to sample this one on Tuesday of this week. Great recipe and I'm diggin the WLP013 I used.

just put two vanilla beans in vodka last week to make this a vanilla porter. probably going to brew it next month at some point. I"m pumped, slowly it's happening one step at a time lol

danorocks17 said:
just put two vanilla beans in vodka last week to make this a vanilla porter. probably going to brew it next month at some point. I"m pumped, slowly it's happening one step at a time lol

It will be all worth it after that first drink!

Crr001 said:
Sorry for the newb question here but are you using 2 row pale or 6 row pale?

2 row, you will find very few recipes with 6 row because it has a 1 to 2% less yield in extracted sugars.

If adding vanilla how much vodka for soaking? and when do you add it to the the brew? sorry for Q. just on my 3rd brew, but loving every minute of it.

sully_0123 said:
If adding vanilla how much vodka for soaking? and when do you add it to the the brew? sorry for Q. just on my 3rd brew, but loving every minute of it.

Take your vanilla beans, make a cut in the middle of each bean (don't cut in half, just make a cut to expose the interior of the bean), submerse the beans in vodka (just enough to cover them but not much more...allow 3 to 8 weeks for complete extraction of vanilla flavor....adding to your beer will depend on your recipe, but most will call for it to be added in the conditioning/aging stage!

Take your vanilla beans, make a cut in the middle of each bean (don't cut in half, just make a cut to expose the interior of the bean), submerse the beans in vodka (just enough to cover them but not much more...allow 3 to 8 weeks for complete extraction of vanilla flavor....adding to your beer will depend on your recipe, but most will call for it to be added in the conditioning/aging stage!

If I'm kegging can I just drop the whole beans and vodka right into the keg? Or do you strain out the beans and only drop in the vodka itself?

ScottSingleton said:
If I'm kegging can I just drop the whole beans and vodka right into the keg? Or do you strain out the beans and only drop in the vodka itself?

Just drop in the vodka, you want to remove the bean from the alcohol...for a while it will extract flavors but with any fruit/vegetable it will eventually start to give unwanted flavors

Hello All,

I didn't see this recipe in the database so I thought I would post it, because it's a damn fine Porter! This comes from the North American Clone Brews book and is a very close and enjoyable cloned recipe!

Original Gravity = 1057
Final Gravity = 1012
ABV = 5.7%
IBU = 55-60
SRM = 29
Size = 5.25 gallon

ALL GRAIN RECIPE:

8 lbs Pale Malt
.75 lbs Crystal Malt 50l
.5 lbs Chocolate Malt
.5 lbs Roasted Barley

Bring to Boil and add:
7 AAU's of Northern Brewer Hops
4 AAU's of Fuggles Hops
4 AAU's of Cascade Hops
4 AAU's of Cascade Hops

Cool 5.25 gallons of wort down to 65 degrees and pitch:
Wyeast 1968

Ferment for two weeks, transfer to a secondary and cool condition (50-55 degrees) for 3 to 4 weeks...keg/bottle and drink at (recommended serving temp) 50 degrees!

To figure out how much hops you need, please use this calculator: http://realbeer.com/hops/bcalc_js.html

If you need partial mash or extract conversion let me know!

Can I get the partial mash & extract conversions? Thanks

jeremy2027 said:
Might be a stupid question but I am assuming this is a 90min boil?

Yes 90 minute boil...there is no such thing as a stupid question in this forum!

Yes 90 minute boil...there is no such thing as a stupid question in this forum!

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but I'm getting ready to do a porter, and this one looks promising!

However, I had a question about the boil time. It's been mentioned that this is a 90 minute boil - no problem, I can do that. But out of curiosity: why 90 minutes?

I assume the 90 minute boil is determined by the hops additions? Won't you get the same bitterness amounts (and no flavor or aroma) from the first two additions? If that's the case, why not add both the Northern Brewer and Fuggles at the same time, and cut the boil time by 30 minutes?

Is the prolonged boil intended to boil off a certain amount of water? If so, what (pre-boil) starting volume should I aim for? (Should I just figure out how much I boil off per hour, and plan for 5.25 gallons + trub loss + boil loss?)

Thanks!

0verdrive said:
Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but I'm getting ready to do a porter, and this one looks promising!

However, I had a question about the boil time. It's been mentioned that this is a 90 minute boil - no problem, I can do that. But out of curiosity: why 90 minutes?

I assume the 90 minute boil is determined by the hops additions? Won't you get the same bitterness amounts (and no flavor or aroma) from the first two additions? If that's the case, why not add both the Northern Brewer and Fuggles at the same time, and cut the boil time by 30 minutes?

Is the prolonged boil intended to boil off a certain amount of water? If so, what (pre-boil) starting volume should I aim for? (Should I just figure out how much I boil off per hour, and plan for 5.25 gallons + trub loss + boil loss?)

Thanks!

Since this came from a clone book I can't assume to know all the reasons for the boil time, however I would summarize that it's to marry the flavors in a way that mimic the beer being cloned. I followed the instructions to the letter and made a damn good beer!

Since this came from a clone book I can't assume to know all the reasons for the boil time, however I would summarize that it's to marry the flavors in a way that mimic the beer being cloned. I followed the instructions to the letter and made a damn good beer!

I figured that might be the case - and I imagine I'll follow the instructions as well. But I was just curious because (as I understand it) there shouldn't be any difference in flavor or aroma for anything boiled past 60 minutes. So I'm curious if anyone has any insight as to why this would make any difference. Can you get more bitterness amounts by boiling longer than 60 minutes? Any other reason for the longer boil time?

(I just figure I may as well use this recipe as a learning exercise, if anyone has any insight.)

Sorry for the dumb question, but could someone tell me how to convert the aau's to oz's for the hops? Not sure how to do this, and I really want to try this recipe.

Back