Bottle carbonation/priming sugar question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

New Brew

Reaction score
So, just got my (first) kit from AHS today, and it included a 4.5 oz (126g) packet of corn sugar for priming the 5gal batch.

I gather that this is the 3/4 cup amount I see generally suggested here.

However, this is a hefeweizen, which to be accurate to the style should be highly carbonated.

So I went to Palmer's site to find his priming chart on this page:
http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter11-4.html

Only to realize that I don't know how to use it; or rather, what temperature to use on the left side.

Do I want to calculate based on the temperature the bottles will be conditioned under, or the temperature at which I will serve the beer? I tend to think it's the conditioning temperature.

So if I'm conditioning my bottles @ RT (let's say 68*F), looks like I'd want about 7oz of "corn sugar" to get 3.5-4 volumes of CO2. If it's the serving temperature I should go by, then I'd only need about 5.5 oz to hit the same mark.

So, which is correct? I'd hate to make a couple cases of bombs with my first batch.

You do not want to bottle hefe's at their proper priming rate! Most regular bottles are (from as best as I have found out) rated at 2.5 volumes. 3.0 is pushing it. A wheat 3.5 - 4.0 (or whatever it is) is asking for trouble imo. I use 16 oz heavy glass returnables. A cheap case of Straub or Genessee (I know gack...but mine were given to me) is your best bet. Either that or buy some Fransizkaner 16 oz. or most of the Belgian imports are heavy glass.

To answer your direct question though you are basically figuring the temperature of the finished product when you go to bottle. The temperature affects how much CO2 is already in solution. The exact time length of temperatures, the process of fermentation and conditioning is beyond what I have read....from what I would assume the final CO2 in solution is effected by the whole process.

Thanks for the help; I should've mentioned that I plan on bottling this into 16.9 oz commercial hefeweizen bottles. I had noticed that the Schneider-Weisse and Weihenstephaner bottles are noticably beefier than Paulaner bottles though, and I have a mix of the 3, so maybe I should play it on the safe side and under-carbonate these for now.

Ahh ok, well that is good then. Yeah just use whatever the last storage temperature of the beer was. Take a sample and test the temp. Then draw the line. Keep in mind that it is relative to your total volume of wort in the fermentor so double check that as well. If you lost a quart then it would be wise to adjust the amount fractionally (easy if you have a scale) (volume actually collected) / (target kit volume) will give you the number that you'd multiple the weight. So for instance if:

You collected 4.8 gallons and the kit said to collect 5.0 gallons:

4.8 / 5.0 = .96

.96 * 4.5 oz = 4.32 oz to prime with

It can make a significant difference in the carbonation.

Back