carbonation-screwed up priming sugar amt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RMFT

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Just realized I bottled a 5 gallon batch with 1/4 cup priming sugar when the specification was the typical was 3/4. This was two weeks ago; any suggestions?

Sorry, there is nothing you can do. Just drink the beer, 1/3rd carbonation will still be better than nothing. Just learn from your mistakes.

Damn my eyes then! I was hoping for some reprieve from my own stupidity (or lack of checklist according to my wife). I thought I had read somewhere that the bottles could be opened and "reprimed."

Damn my eyes then! I was hoping for some reprieve from my own stupidity (or lack of checklist according to my wife). I thought I had read somewhere that the bottles could be opened and "reprimed."

Yeah, you can. You can make a thick solution with the remaining sugar and equally divide it among the rest of the bottles. Or, you could plunk some carb tabs down in there (easier, a tad more expensive).

Or, enjoy them as they are. Or, blend them with a new batch that is carbonated properly bottle-by-bottle. I would think that re-priming would be quite a P.I.T.A.

B

EDIT: And I don't mean a piece of bread.

Thanks. I think I'll take a moderate path and try repriming 1/2 of the batch. I definitely understand the PITA factor.......

Back