Need Help - Wyeast 3724 Belgian Saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZooKeeper

Reaction score
I brewed a batch Saturday mid day. Cooled it down to 70 degrees. Pumped plenty of pure O2 into it. Pitched Wyeast 3724 Belgian Saison. I had smacked it 5 hours earlier & it has ballooned & was about 70 degrees as well. OG was 1.065. I put it in the bathroom/fermentation chamber that was set to 80 degrees. We went out to a couple of parties & came home & it was bubbling strong & smelling awesome. I bumped the temp to 85 before going to bed. Next morning, smell was gone, but still bubbling, not quite as strong. I bump temp to 90 degrees. I leave for business. I get home tonight & no bubbles, so I decide to check the gravity. 1.062. I do not have another pack of this yeast, as the local brew store only had one.

Suggestions?

Something is not quite right. it's been fermenting for 2 days and it's only dropped .003! You should check that again.

Also, your temps are wicked high. 80F is way too hot to start with and 90 on day 2 is crazy. I don't think this would cause your ferment to get stuck but it will makes some nasty beer. Even with a saison I's start in the mid 60's and raise the temp slowly over a weeks time to the mid 70's.

FYI WLP565 Saison Ale Yeast is the same strain as wyeast 3724

Yeah, seems very high temp, even for Belgian yeast-though I cannot imagine that you had activity and only dropped .003. I would: Check you hydrometer reading and lower your temps. You may need to re-pitch at a lower temp?

OK, after checking again & adjusting for temp, it's 1.06. So it sounds like I screwed up on raising/starting the temp too high.

What do you suggest?

Edit: TimBrewz...I posted before seeing your reply. I will check with both brew stores in the morning to see if they have a saison strain (3724, 3711, WLP565, WLP568) to pitch. I'll start at a lower temp and wait to raise it.

OK, after checking again & adjusting for temp, it's 1.06. So it sounds like I screwed up on raising/starting the temp too high.

What do you suggest?

Edit: TimBrewz...I posted before seeing your reply. I will check with both brew stores in the morning to see if they have a saison strain (3724, 3711, WLP565, WLP568) to pitch. I'll start at a lower temp and wait to raise it.

let it cool to the low 70's, then re-pitch with new yeast: this would cover your bases. Don't let it get over 80f

Your current yeast may restart, but sounds like it got over stressed and pooped out. I would re-pitch.

Thanks TimBrewz...brew store won't have the yeast in until tomorrow, so we will repitch tomorrow night & cross our fingers.

I have brewed several batches with 3724. All fermented well around 80 degrees.
I suggest making a starter of at least 2 liters. I never brew with liquid yeast without making a starter.

a starter is key and probably the problem. let it stabilize and it will probably begin fermenting again on its own. saisons have a mind of their own. i think 3724 is the only yeast really rated for high temps, but most saisons work great at that temp even though they're not rated for it. this is especially strange since your yeast should have been able to handle that 85-90* temp. i wonder if between the low colony count, temp you set and the fermentation heat (fermentation causes heat) it just inevitably killed itself?

YEAST STRAIN: 3724 | Belgian Saison™

Back to Yeast Strain List

This strain is the classic farmhouse ale yeast. A traditional yeast that is spicy with complex aromatics, including bubble gum. It is very tart and dry on the palate with a mild fruitiness. Expect a crisp, mildly acidic finish that will benefit from elevated fermentation temperatures. This strain is notorious for a rapid and vigorous start to fermentation, only to stick around 1.035 S.G. Fermentation will finish, given time and warm temperatures. Warm fermentation temperatures at least 90°F (32°C) or the use of a secondary strain can accelerate attenuation.

Origin:
Flocculation: Low
Attenuation: 76-80%
Temperature Range: 70-95F, 21-35C
Alcohol Tolerance: 12% ABV

If you're going to repitch, I highly recommend 3711. It's a monster and will chew right through that wort.

They didn't have any 3711, so I'm repitching 3724.

I've smacked it...in this situation, should I do a starter to build it up or go ahead and pitch it?

At this point, I would just pitch it. It is always preferable to make a starter, but I don't think you have time to do that.

maida7: If I were to do a starter in this scenario, how long would you let it go before pitching? Keep in mind I brewed this last Saturday.

Back