couple of questions to get me to bottling.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rival178

Reaction score
1. my pale ale is fermenting at 64 degrees, is this too cold?
2. I left my "ale bucket" in the middle of the room for 4 days, did too much sun get into the beer? How much damage was done?
3. I'm going to dry hop, currently I have been fermenting for 5 days, when should I add the dry hop and how long should I dry hop?

Ingredients (Included):
6 lbs Light LME
2.0 lb. Maris Otter
0.50 lb. Light Munich
0.75 lb. Carahell
.15 oz Centennial hops (Bittering)
1.0 oz Glacier hops (Bittering)
0.5 oz Glacier hops (1st Flavoring)
0.5 oz Glacier hops (2nd Flavoring)
0.5 oz Glacier hops (Aroma)
2.0 oz Glacier hops (Dry-hop)
1 tsp. Irish moss
2/3 to 3/4 cup corn sugar to prime
Wyeast 1056

1) Temp sounds just about perfect, should be nice and clean
2) You should be OK. Those buckets are more or less impermeable to light and it wasn't out for very long
3) Wait for 3 consecutive hydrometer readings. You don't want the beer still fermenting and to blow off all the nice aroma you get from dry hopping.

1. 64 degrees sounds pretty good. Temperature fluctuation is more damaging.
2. Fermenting buckets are usually opaque, so unlike a glass carboy it has protection from the sun. I doubt your beer will be affectede by this. However in the future, pick a dark, cool place for your bucket.
3. I usually dry hop right after primary fermentation, as for the length of dry hop time, that all depends on what type of beer you are making, and the type of hops. In this case I would dry hop for 7 days and then take a taste test.

Latest posts

Back