Mash Paddle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

randmc

Reaction score
So being a MAN I happen to have some mahogany planks just sitting around the house. I've read that mash paddles should be made of hard wood, can't think of one much harder than that. Does anyone think this would be a bad idea? I've read some other thoughts that the paddle should be made of cherry or oak (woods that might be used for flavoring). Any thoughts

I'd use oak or the like myself. Mohogany is an open grained wood. a sealer must be used when making furniture out of it to seal the open pores before the final finish is applied. Nasties could grow in those pores.

I love the look of a custom wooden paddle but for the sake of sanitation I use a huge metal spoon that I sourced from a restaurant supply store.

Its a mash paddle....your wort is going to be boiled after touching it anyway so....?? Why the fear? I use mine to stir the mash only, not the fermentor...no worries.

Its a mash paddle....your wort is going to be boiled after touching it anyway so....?? Why the fear? I use mine to stir the mash only, not the fermentor...no worries.

This. Mahogany would be fine. Sand it down real good. Use some butcher block oil if desired. Mine is homegrown Red Maple, unfinished. Works fine.

Unfinished would be great if you use a waterproof glue and the wood is rot resistant.

Personally, I tried a whisk last time and I doubt I'll end up using a mash paddle now. The whisk just worked so much better than any paddle I've tried. I'm working on making a SS whisk of decent size now. In fact I have to go see what kind of SS rod I can get at work.

Back