Fermentation Temperature Control

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

digdan

Reaction score
Less than breaking your bankroll on a temperature control conical fermenter... what methods have you developed to keep your fermentation temperature under control?

I live in Idaho, which is known for its dramatic weather (believe it or not). Yesterday was 30 below normal. Even though we have some famous local hop strains, I find it hard to brew with our dynamic weather changes.

My brew buddy decided to trade hobbies as an aquarium expert, which made me mad, but after awhile we learned off a couple of things. First and formost was the dynamics of water. Second was pH and temps. He suggested that I get a larger container to submerse my carboy into and use an aquarium heater to maintain heat (in an Air Conditioned Room). This works great, since the water will buffer dramatic temperature changes.
The downfall is a lot of more liquid/weight per fermentation vessell, not to mention that I now handle heavy, wet, carboys :)

Just thought I would like to hear what others do to tame their temperatures. And further more..., what accuracy you can hold.

Like you I don't live in the tropics or experience tempertures anywhere near that, so I rely on a spare fridge with a johnson temperture controller in series with the power supply. This allows me to turn the internal temperture knob to the coldest setting and allow the external controller to keep my temps to what I set them at.

digdan said:
. . . . He suggested that I get a larger container to submerse my carboy into and use an aquarium heater to maintain heat (in an Air Conditioned Room). This works great, since the water will buffer dramatic temperature changes.
The downfall is a lot of more liquid/weight per fermentation vessell, not to mention that I now handle heavy, wet, carboys :)

Just thought I would like to hear what others do to tame their temperatures. And further more..., what accuracy you can hold.
I set my carboy in an old fashioned wash tub with foam pads wrapped around, use 2 aquarium heaters and laid some foam across the top. I just fermented some porter at 67 degrees in a 47-55 degree basement. Temperature held steady the whole time. We just had a cold spell - down to -11 with a high of 2 F. Heat with wood so don't turn the furnace on. Had no problem handling the carboy.

digdan said:
Less than breaking your bankroll on a temperature control conical fermenter... what methods have you developed to keep your fermentation temperature under control?
You could build a fermentation chiller, and replace the ice with a light bulb so that it acts as a heater. Supposedly the cost isn't more than $75 or so.

Back