Gluten Free Light Lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Satisfaction

Reaction score
This turned out amazing, beyond my expectations. No twang, just an extremely smooth lager with a taste that rivals our gluten packed beers. Since this is a lager you must be equipped to handle temperature control and a ton of patience to wait 4 months. Your efforts will be rewarded.

GF Light Lager

Style: Standard American Lager OG: 1.042
Type: Extract FG: 1.010
Rating: 0.0 ABV: 4.19 %
Calories: 137 IBU's: 18.68
Efficiency: 70 % Boil Size: 5.88 Gal
Color: 3.2 SRM Batch Size: 5.00 Gal
Boil Time: 40 minutes

Fermentation Steps
Name Days / Temp
Bottle/Keg 14 days @ 74.0°F
Lager 48 days @ 35.0°F
Primary 24 days @ 57.5°F

Grains & Adjuncts
Amount Percentage Name Time Gravity
0.50 lbs 8.62 % Corn Syrup 40 mins 1.036
0.50 lbs 8.62 % Rice Extract Syrup 40 mins 1.032
1.50 lbs 25.86 % Honey 40 mins 1.035
3.30 lbs 56.90 % Briess White Sorghum LME 40 mins 1.037

Hops
Amount IBU's Name Time AA %
0.75 ozs 0.00 Saaz 0 mins 4.00
0.75 ozs 5.89 Cascade 10 mins 5.50
0.50 ozs 12.79 Mt. Hood 60 mins 6.50

Yeasts
Amount Name Laboratory / ID
2.0 pkg Oktoberfest WLP820

Additions
1 Teaspoon Yeast Nutrient 15 mins

Mash Profile
(none)

Carbonation
Amount Type Beer Temp CO2 Vols
4.86 oz Corn Sugar - Bottle Carbonation 74.0°F 2.60

image-1065224529.jpg

Agreed as far as my recipe is concerned. I'd love to make more but don't currently have a way to lager until the late fall/winter. I'll def be making this in 10gal batches from here on out.

I'm interested in trying this for my GF wife. Any special type of corn syrup and rice extract syrup? Was it a brown rice syrup?

ksj said:
I'm interested in trying this for my GF wife. Any special type of corn syrup and rice extract syrup? Was it a brown rice syrup?

The corn syrup was just the normal stuff found in almost every American grocery store, it even had a touch of vanilla flavor since I could not find one without.

Yes it was brown rice syrup, it was purchased off of Amazon since it is hard to find outside of the health food stores. Another sub would be the dried rice extract found in a lot of LHBS.

The honey was regular clover.. You can pick up large containers for a good price at Wegmans. With the leftover you can make a gallon of Ancient Mead. Which is actually pretty good...

One thing I left out of the above recipe, is the teaspoon of yeast nutrients at 15 minutes. Will fix that.

I hadn't considered corn syrup as a fermentable, but something like Karo syrup would do nicely and be cheap to boot!

Thanks for the recipe, I can't wait to try it! Can you answer two questions for me? If I substitute dry rice extract is the weight still 0.5 lbs or is there a conversion that I need to do? Second, should the Mt. Hood hops be boiled for 40 minutes rather than the 60 that is called out above?

If I substitute dry rice extract is the weight still 0.5 lbs or is there a conversion that I need to do?

It depends on the PPG, but a 1:1 substitution would work fine.

Second, should the Mt. Hood hops be boiled for 40 minutes rather than the 60 that is called out above?

The difference between a 60 minute boil of the hops versus the 40 minutes would be overall less bitter. The recipe is not very bitter, and actually extremely smooth. Now, I am a big hop head so my tolerance and acceptance of bitter beers may be different than yours.

I did a gf light lager and only had the capacity for 3 gallons but really wish I did a bigger batch. I just used brown rice extract with a little bit of sorghum. I really like the corn sugar idea...ill have to give that a shot

Thanks for the recipe, making 6 gal. of this today. I substituted some of your hops for things I had laying around with similar AA% content. This will probably be on a regular rotation through my kegs.

Back