storing bulk grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stale

Reaction score
Hey everybody!
I'm about to start ordering bulk grains and was curious of how you all store yours.
In the bag or in plastic or what ? Learning from people with experience is a good thing. Don't want to waste it before I can use it up.
Thanks

I put mine in plastic bin liners, and then put them in a rubbermaid bin with a tight fitting lid in the basement. They last with no noticeable deteriation for at least 6 months, at which point I have to get more. My guess is that they would last over 1 year without problems if I didn't brew so much.

-a.

As long as they are kept dry you shouldnt have a problem. If they do get wet they will mildew and start to rot. You will be able to tell if this happens so I wouldnt worry to much about it sneaking up on you.

Here is mine

grain2.jpg

stored in plastic bags, vacuum sealed, and weighed in 2 pound lots.
This is a sack completed.

I've got about 250lbs in rubbermaid bins, right now I looking for a large chest freezer (non-working) to store them in.

hey thanks a lot for all the good input guys. I recently bought the SWMBO a food saver unit and it looks like boo boo has done something along these lines. Willy probably try something along these lines in 5lb. increments for the base mlts anyway. Thanks again. This is the best site I've found for people th:mug: at help

I was going to use the rubbermaid roughneck bins and just out of curiousity I emailed rubbermaid to ask if they're safe for food contact and they said no. That's probably just their liability insurance talking because I can't imagine anything leaching into the uncracked grains.

Back