Have 3-tier Brew Stand Want to Wire Switch for Pump - Need Ideas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jewrican

Reaction score
I have a three tiered brew stand that i got today. I would like to mount my pump and add a switch for it on the stand to make it easier but dont know how best to do so.

I plan to run the wire from the pump into a switch and then cut an extension cord to wire to the other side of the switch.

I have a two questions:

1 Should i use a light switch or is there anything smaller that I can use? Maybe I should be more clear, I really want to use something smaller, what should i use? If i use it, how will i keep the cords contained (with a light switch the box would do this for me)

2. How should i mount the switch to the stand? There is a center support that it only makes sense to use, but are there screws that i can use to screw into that support? Will it support the weight of the cords, box, and switch? Is there another way to do this?

Can you post some pics of yours or give me some ideas on how to best do this?

Any chance you can post a picture of the stand so I can get a better idea of size and locations for the add-ons?

this is a terrible shot as i am not at home to take one.. it was posted from a phone of an identical stand on FB. I know it is really tough to see but you get an idea of the layout.

Untitled.png

I would like to mount the switch to that center post, but would like for it to be smaller than a full light switch with a box and faceplate. I was thinking last night though, if i had to, i could use magnets to hold it up maybe?? You cant possibly use screws can you?

just talked to a buddy at work and he brought up that there are switches on surge protectors.. so you have to be able to use one like that... maybe i will have to visit a home depot to see what they have for that...then i will still need to figure out how to contain the wires (maybe project box from radio shack like used on the temp controllers and stir plates) and then mount it up (magnets? can i use screws? etc)

I had a similar connundrum. The bonus on mine was that I'd be running 2 pumps and a counterflow chiller.

Being lazy, I wired up a waterproof box, with 2x combo switch outlets, and a GFI outlet For the pumps and switches.

Then,using zip ties secured the switches, pumps, and chiller to the side rails of a 4' stepladder. :tank:

I had a similar connundrum. The bonus on mine was that I'd be running 2 pumps and a counterflow chiller.

Being lazy, I wired up a waterproof box, with 2x combo switch outlets, and a GFI outlet For the pumps and switches.

Then,using zip ties secured the switches, pumps, and chiller to the side rails of a 4' stepladder. :tank:

pictures would be nice... just saying.

Here's mine (dead thread or not). Waterproof box over a light switch. Extension cord, etc.

Brewery%2520with%2520Switch%2520Installed%25201.jpg

did you pick up all the parts at home depot, or did you have to order them?

All parts are home depot sourced. Only thing I have added since then is a little stick on heat proofing on the back and sides. Just for piece of mind though. Never any heat related issues.

Back