Starting Gravity Adjustment Calculator - Available For Use

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamest22

Reaction score
After missing my pre-boil and post-boil gravity target the past few brew sessions, I wrote a quick web-based calculator to help make simple gravity adjustments using water dilution and malt extract additions.

I've made the calculator available at the following URL:

http://ahomebrewlog.com/gravity_adjustment/

It works on any mobile device that has a web browser with javascript support and an internet connection.

This calculator is inspired by the Android Brewzor Gravity Adjustment Calculator which I find very useful.

I forgot to mention that If anyone has any suggestions for improving the calculator, let me know.

The first thing that came to mind was adding drop down control with oz and lb increments so you could calculate the result when adding 1 lb of DME, etc.

Nice.

Based on feedback, I updated the gravity adjustment calculator to include options for units. DME additions can now be calculated in either pounds or ounces. Water additions can now be calculated in either quarts or gallons.

http://www.ahomebrewlog.com/gravity_adjustment/

Once again, let me know if you see any room for improvement. Also, I'd love to hear feedback from anyone who has used it during a brewing session.

Just wanted to let you know that I used this calculator last night. Since the Ohio winter is upon us, I decided to experiment with doing concentrated all grain boils on my stove top using ~4 gallon boil. I did a batch of Janet's Brown. Mashed 4 gallons, dunk sparged in 1.5 gallons. Ended up with 3.7 gallons of 1.080 wort after the boil and used this calculator to figure out how much top off water I needed to get the OG down to 1.061. Ended up being just over a gallon. Almost perfect. This really came in handy and will be something I use again.

Thanks for the help!

Just wanted to let you know that I used this calculator last night. Since the Ohio winter is upon us, I decided to experiment with doing concentrated all grain boils on my stove top using ~4 gallon boil. I did a batch of Janet's Brown. Mashed 4 gallons, dunk sparged in 1.5 gallons. Ended up with 3.7 gallons of 1.080 wort after the boil and used this calculator to figure out how much top off water I needed to get the OG down to 1.061. Ended up being just over a gallon. Almost perfect. This really came in handy and will be something I use again.

Thanks for the help!

Glad to hear its getting some use!

Based on feedback, I updated the gravity adjustment calculator to include options for units. DME additions can now be calculated in either pounds or ounces. Water additions can now be calculated in either quarts or gallons.

Boil Gravity Adjustment Calculator

Once again, let me know if you see any room for improvement. Also, I'd love to hear feedback from anyone who has used it during a brewing session.

How about adding litres and kilograms too? :)

This is an excellent idea, but maybe I'm missing something 'cos I can't get it to work?
After completing all the fields and hitting "calculate" nothing appears in the "Adjust by adding:" field.

Do I need a plug-in or something?

Thanks!

Nick

This is an excellent idea, but maybe I'm missing something 'cos I can't get it to work?
After completing all the fields and hitting "calculate" nothing appears in the "Adjust by adding:" field.

Do I need a plug-in or something?

Thanks!

Nick

I have made an update that should correct the issue you were experiencing.

Cheers!

:mug:

Back