Will I be able to do 5g AG BIAB with my equipment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pivzavod

Reaction score
I have a 5 gallon pot and recently acquired a 8 gallon Megapot. I know my gas stove can boil ~5 gallons of water (tried it with my cheap pot in the past) and I think I should be able to do full boils with no problems. If I get big paint straining bags from the hardware store (my current PM grain bags are not that big) or make custom bags would I be able to do around 15 lbs of grains?

For my PM batches I used 5 gallon pot & 3 gallon pot. I would let grain bag drain thru a colander (usually 3-4 lbs). I dont think I can fit 10+ lbs into colander but what if I scoop some grain with a strainer out of the bag and let it drain in the colander. I might have to do it twice and than should be able to fit remaining grain bag into colander.

I am mostly into Belgians and most recipes are less than 15 lbs. I might get adventurous in the future and try brewing a long term beer such as RIS or BW and that could be 17 lbs.

As long as you have beersmith or a similar program, you will be able to figure out if it will fit. If it doesn't, I reccomend lowering the batch size until it will. It would also help to have an extra 3G pot for mashing so you can split your mash in two. I do this lots and it work great.

Back