Pectic Enzyme in Secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ruger12pk

Reaction score
Im turning out a 5gal batch of traditional which will be finally racked into the seconday. To this I will be adding 5 pounds of blueberries for just a few days. Is it prudent to add Pectic Enzyme at this stage?

I'd use pectic enzyme with that fruit, but I'd also freeze, thaw, refreeze & rethaw those berries. It helps in juice & flavour extraction, it also helps the enzyme to break down the cell walls. I think I'd leave it on the fruit much longer than just a few days though, more like a month, but that's just me. You might consider sulfiting at this point, both to sanitize the fruit and to protect your mead from oxidation. Regards, GF.

I'd use pectic enzyme with that fruit, but I'd also freeze, thaw, refreeze & rethaw those berries. It helps in juice & flavour extraction, it also helps the enzyme to break down the cell walls. I think I'd leave it on the fruit much longer than just a few days though, more like a month, but that's just me. You might consider sulfiting at this point, both to sanitize the fruit and to protect your mead from oxidation. Regards, GF.

Thanks! I will go ahead and use the pectic then. The reason I only leave it on the fruit for like 4 days. The last time I did this I checked it at 4 days out and it was perfect! A nice berry flavor with a sweet =honey finish and a wonderful color. I bottled it and it was like the most requested mead ive made so far! Im thinking had I left it on the fruit for any longer it would have been way to heavy and syrupy for me...I like just a nice light flavoring to the mead....it was really nice.

Back