Tangerine beer question... quantity, quality and meathod...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grimsawyer

Reaction score
My buddy just went to a beer fest and tried a tangerine beer. Got us to thinking. Our thoughts go to 55% wheat, 45% barley minimal hops and a german or similar yeast for the nice clovey flavors. Don't want it over 6% and have a lower FG. Problem is we don't know how much tangerine to add. Is it something that a little goes a long way or do we need 30lbs for a 5gallon batch? I know you can get bitter orange peels and any homebrew shop but what about tangerine? Should we get some in a can or find some whole? Puree or not to puree... Just squeeze 'em or toss the fruit in? :drunk:

I would probably just got with some freshly grated zest near the end of the boil. My one attempt at using orange juice (in a mead) just sort of tasted like old orange juice for about a year until the flavor mostly faded away. I would start with the zest of 3-4 tangerines, you can always add more after primary fermentation if there isn’t enough flavor for you (you could steep the zest in vodka to make your own extraction to add at bottling as well).

Never used tangerines before, but that general method was worked well for oranges and grapefruits. My next beer is going to be a Belgian single with lemon zest and black pepper, hoping to have a good beer for drinking with seafood this summer.

I wouldn't go minimal hops personally. The right kind of hops can really give your beer an extra citrusy flavor.

I've done a few...you want to do exactly what the brewers did...a very light beer that is probably wheat based. No overpowering malts. Summit hops did the best job for me. I would suggest the cleanest yeast you can find like s-05.

I added tangerine zest at flamout, to the secondary, and a tincture to the bottling bucket. Came through like a champ.

Latest posts

Back