Citra and ____?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aStoutObserver

Reaction score
I'm just looking for some opinions here. I'm making a pale ale and am planning on using citra as one of my hops.
My other hops are Cascade, Amarillo (2013 crop), Mosaic and El Dorado.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Home Brew mobile app

Kern River Citra DIPA uses only Citra in the boil and then dry hops with Amarillo and Citra. I know this beer has won a ton of awards so that combo might be a great way to go (FWIW I haven't had this beer, but I just listened to the Can You Brew It episode, so it stuck out).

I think all of those hops would work well with each other. Just make a crazy juicy IIPA....

Kern River Citra DIPA uses only Citra in the boil and then dry hops with Amarillo and Citra. I know this beer has won a ton of awards so that combo might be a great way to go (FWIW I haven't had this beer, but I just listened to the Can You Brew It episode, so it stuck out).

I have had it and it's pretty good. But like all beers that are generously dry-hopped with Hype, it is not as good as you are expecting it to be. It has the same kind of off-putting bitterness that I have had in other beers bittered with Citra.

I have had it and it's pretty good. But like all beers that are generously dry-hopped with Hype, it is not as good as you are expecting it to be. It has the same kind of off-putting bitterness that I have had in other beers bittered with Citra.

Ya I'm not sure there is a situation that would force me to bitter with Citra. Though, my reasons are purely financially motivated. I would use a cheaper hop to bitter with regardless.

I have a citra+amarillo pale ale in my primary right now that is always a hit

My Queen Ann's Revenge IPA is hop bursted with mosaic, amarillo, and citra. mosaic @ 15, heavy dose of amarillo @ 10, citra and a touch of mosaic @ 5 then a mosaic/amarillo dry hop combo. Its a damn good beer.

Im drinking a Raging Irish Red right now bittered with Cascade, finished with Amarillo, and dry hopped with Citra. I cant seem to put it down. lightly bittered, then the toasty maltyness of crystal 120 with the fruitiness of the Amarillo/Citra combination . I only have 1/2 keg left, so I'm brewing it again next.

Thanks for all of the replies. I went with citra, Amarillo and mosaic.

It's not bittered with Citra, though. The first Citra addition is @ 30 min. then 15 min. and down. I've also had it, and I think it's really good...overhyped due to extremely limited availability but still very good.

Thanks for all of the replies. I went with citra, Amarillo and mosaic.

I did a IIPA with equal parts Citra, Mosaic, and Nelson Sauvin. Turned out really, really fruity. Your beer sounds like it will be really good as long as you're looking for a tropical fruit bomb.

Rather than start a new thread, I thought I would look for another set of opinions here.

I went ahead with a recipe that looks like this -

9 lbs. 2-row
8 oz. Crystal 20L
8 oz. Vienna
4 oz. Carapils

My hop additions were 1 oz. Citra, Amarillo and .5 oz Mosaic and they were added to the cube (I no-chill.) The projected IBU for an @20 min. addition was around 65, but my guess is that it will be lower.

My yeast is wlp001.

So, now I am just wondering anyone's opinion on whether or not this beer needs an additional amount of dry hop or not? I had originally planned on dry hopping some into it, but am now thinking otherwise with the late hop bomb.

Nugget for bittering and citra dry hop... Perfect Beer
0.50 oz Nugget [13.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min
0.50 oz Nugget [13.00 %] - Boil 45.0 min
0.50 oz Nugget [13.00 %] - Boil 30.0 min
0.50 oz Nugget [13.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min
0.50 oz Nugget [13.00 %] - Boil 2.0 min
2.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) Yeast
2.00 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days

Light base and lots of good bright flavor

just made a pale ale (5gal) last week...I hopped the same as beersmith's "Too Hoppy German Lager"...

made this a few times...such a great hop combo

0.4 oz Citra [12.0%] - First Wort
0.4 oz Amarillo Gold [8.5%] - Boil 30 min
0.4 oz Amarillo Gold [8.5%] - Boil 15 min
0.4 oz Amarillo Gold [8.5%] - Boil 10 min
0.4 oz Amarillo Gold [8.5%] - Boil 5 min
0.4 oz Amarillo Gold [8.5%] - Dry Hop 10 days
0.4 oz Amarillo Gold [8.5%] - Dry Hop 8 days

Ended up not dry hopping mine. Turned out great.

Back