Priming sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nickfanelli

Reaction score
So, I know there are threads about sugar and some talk of quantities, but is there more exact amounts to add for lager and ales? I have been using the beer store's prescribed 215g for my last three batches, but my ales are way too carbonated. Also, I notice that the flavour is effected and not sure how malt will effect the flavour too. Anyone want to get on their soapbox? I need some varied opinions and expert advice.

that is way too much sugar, assuming you brew 5 gallon batches. 215 grams is approximately 7.6 oz.
In order to carbonate a beer at 2.5 volumes CO2 you would only need 4.3 oz. corn sugar(which is what I'm assuming they're selling you.)
I am very surprised your bottles haven't been exploding.
So methinks that those prescribed sugar packs are for carbonating 10 gallons of beer.
A lot of people start out just by measuring 2/3 cup corn sugar for priming for 5 gallon batches(as that is approximately 4-4.5 oz), but I would suggest that you get a digital food scale. You can get a decent one for around 30 bucks, and it may come in handy with other things in the future.

that is way too much sugar, assuming you brew 5 gallon batches. 215 grams is approximately 7.6 oz.
In order to carbonate a beer at 2.5 volumes CO2 you would only need 4.3 oz. corn sugar(which is what I'm assuming they're selling you.)
I am very surprised your bottles haven't been exploding.
So methinks that those prescribed sugar packs are for carbonating 10 gallons of beer.
A lot of people start out just by measuring 2/3 cup corn sugar for priming for 5 gallon batches(as that is approximately 4-4.5 oz), but I would suggest that you get a digital food scale. You can get a decent one for around 30 bucks, and it may come in handy with other things in the future.

I agree. Also, if you want to carb to style, you can use this table http://www.mashspargeboil.com/achieving-the-right-carbonation-in-your-home-brew-beer/ to help determine the volumes to target, and this: http://www.backyardbrewers.com/?p=137 to calculate the amount of sugar needed.

And lots of folks use table sugar - much cheaper. I have no complaint with the results.

I bought a small scale from Williams Brewing for about $8.00 - can't beat the price.

I use beersmith for my recipes and the priming sugar amount on 5 gallon batches depending on style of brew its usually from 3.5 oz to 4.8oz ...check your style before you prime because over carbonating you are risking bottle bombs and those arent fun

I created an excellent (if I do say so, myself) priming sugar calculator - feel free to check it out.

You can pick the style that you are brewing, or dial in a specific desired amount of volumes of CO2. It will then tell you exactly how much sugar to use, and gives you a ton of sugars to pick from.

I'd say 1 oz/ 28 g (corn sugar) per gallon, but that depends on the style.

Awesome. Thanks guys. I knew there was a more scientific method. I am starting to hate my beers kit store, they just try and make everything easy, not right. Anyway, I guess I have been lucky, as this is my 3rd batch and no bombs. However my Altbier will go in the bottles with the proper amount of sugar.

homebrewdad said:
I created an excellent (if I do say so, myself) priming sugar calculator - feel free to check it out.

You can pick the style that you are brewing, or dial in a specific desired amount of volumes of CO2. It will then tell you exactly how much sugar to use, and gives you a ton of sugars to pick from.

Nicely done. I've been using the NB calculator, then switched to Brewer's friend to get liters for volume, will try this next brew day. Like the expanded range of priming sugar though I've yet to use anything but corn sugar, and the e-mail feature. Handy for a record.

nice calculator. has more sugars than the one I have been using, even though I never use anything but the corn sugar that comes with the kits, it's nice to know if I ever do decide to use something else. And it looks like you have every style of beer's carb level to choose, another plus. I just put it in my bookmarks.

May I ask, what is the equation to calculate vol CO2 from oz dextrose for gal. to be bottled, given temp?

homebrewdad said:

This worked perfectly. Thanks!

Back