BrewersFriend

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Really digging http://www.brewersfriend.com/ as my go to software for my brewing.

I love how everything is stored into the cloud and I can get to it from any device.

Thanks for the praise Schumed. This is Larry from Brewer's Friend. In October, we just released Plato support, 'to the kettle' batch size, and 4 types of efficiency. In November we have a yeast calculator lined up, and we plan on supporting BeerXML.

Happy brewing!

I'm a new brewer and I also like brewer's friend. It is a nice balance between simplicity and having flexible features for entering recipes. I haven't made the commitment to it yet and got the "paid" version but I'm seriously considering it and may make the purchase soon.

Are there any other relatively simple to use software/websites anyone would recommend? I tried a demo of brew smith but it seemed over complicated for what I wanted and I didn't want to have to bother with software updates and compatibility.

have been using brewers friend since i started brewing. it started as a recipe database for me to store the various recipes i have brewed and plan on brewing. though after playing with the software, it has showed itself to be very useful and full featured. i dont plan on using anything else. AND it keeps getting better.

I have been using BrewersFriend since I started as well. Full featured but still very easy to use, I highly recommend it. Also pulls up nice on my phone, which is very handy when I'm at the LHBS and can just look up the grain bill for my recipe right there.

I really enjoy the software as well. It is my go to recipe calculator, and it stores all the recipes that I spend a lot of time working on

thanks for making such a good brewing resource!

I've been using brewers friend for awhile and I love it. I do have a question though. Wen I add acidulated malt to a recipe it doesn't affect the estimated mash PH as much as it does in the bru n water spreadsheet. Do you use a different equation for estimating acidity? Also if the water chemistry could be viewed as part of the recipe builder it would be easier to see how changes affect the mash chemistry. Right now I click brew to get to the water chemistry tab then if I want to change the grain bill (i.e. add acidulated malt) I have to edit the recipe, then it's no longer tied to that brew session and salt additions have to be redone. This is a minor inconvenience but any help you can provide will be appreciated, and thank you for the wonderful brewing tool. A friend of mine tried to convince me to switch to beer smith and he ended up switching to brewers friend after we did comparisons.

I've been using brewers friend for awhile and I love it. I do have a question though. Wen I add acidulated malt to a recipe it doesn't affect the estimated mash PH as much as it does in the bru n water spreadsheet. Do you use a different equation for estimating acidity? Also if the water chemistry could be viewed as part of the recipe builder it would be easier to see how changes affect the mash chemistry. Right now I click brew to get to the water chemistry tab then if I want to change the grain bill (i.e. add acidulated malt) I have to edit the recipe, then it's no longer tied to that brew session and salt additions have to be redone.

After editing the recipe you can 'rebuild' the brew under the edit tab on the brew session. The current version of the pH calculation however does not factor in acidulated malt. The good news is, Kaiser and the BF team are working on a state of the art water chemistry calculator! We hope to have that launched in the first part of next year.

A friend of mine tried to convince me to switch to beer smith and he ended up switching to brewers friend after we did comparisons.

Very glad to hear it! That is like an early xmas gift.

Cheers,
Larry

After editing the recipe you can 'rebuild' the brew under the edit tab on the brew session. The current version of the pH calculation however does not factor in acidulated malt. The good news is, Kaiser and the BF team are working on a state of the art water chemistry calculator! We hope to have that launched in the first part of next year.

Very glad to hear it! That is like an early xmas gift.

Cheers,
Larry

Thanks for the info, I will keep using the spreadsheet then until you guys get that one released. Keep up the good work.

Bumping for awesomeness.

We've been using Brewer'sFriend now for a few months and really liking it.
Keep up the good work, more than happy to pay the minimal annual subscription.

Bumping for awesomeness.

We've been using Brewer'sFriend now for a few months and really liking it.
Keep up the good work, more than happy to pay the minimal annual subscription.

Thank you! It is great to see people all over the world using it, and succeeding in their brewing endeavors. Building in metric support from day one was a priority.

Thank you! It is great to see people all over the world using it, and succeeding in their brewing endeavors. Building in metric support from day one was a priority.

Hi Larry,Stikks here.The site gets better and better as time goes by.I wasn`t
aware you were a member here at HBT.I hope you can get the fly sparge option
going as long as the interest is there.Keep up the good work.

Cheers

I don't watch HBT that closely, but when I notice a thread I respond.

As for fly sparing, I think that may have been mentioned in the feature request forum, feel free to bump it or start a new thread if one doesn't exist. A lot of activity has been going on in the feature request forum lately. Every time we knock something out, a new request pops up!

Hi Larry, I had a question about the IBU calculator. It says: For a 5.5 gallon batch, 7 gallons is typical boil volume for all grain, 3 for extract. Does that mean I should change the boil volume to 3 gallons (55% of batch size) for extract recipes?

If I have 6.25 gallons of boiling water and add 9 lbs LME, it comes to 7 gallons, and after 60 minutes of boiling and adding hops will come down to 5.5 gallons at 1.061 OG, so the boil size is technically 7 gallons. At a boil size of 7 gallons, adding 1 oz of 12% pellet hops each at 60, 20, 15, 10, and 5 calculates to 113 IBUs. If I keep boil and batch size both at 5.5 gallons, it calculates to 100 IBUs, but if I change the boil size to 3 gallons, it calculates to 63 IBUs. That really doesn't make sense. Why would extract have so much less hop utilization than all grain, after all isn't extract really all grain wort that someone else made and then packed and sold?

Hi Larry, I had a question about the IBU calculator. It says: For a 5.5 gallon batch, 7 gallons is typical boil volume for all grain, 3 for extract. Does that mean I should change the boil volume to 3 gallons (55% of batch size) for extract recipes?

If I have 6.25 gallons of boiling water and add 9 lbs LME, it comes to 7 gallons, and after 60 minutes of boiling and adding hops will come down to 5.5 gallons at 1.061 OG, so the boil size is technically 7 gallons. At a boil size of 7 gallons, adding 1 oz of 12% pellet hops each at 60, 20, 15, 10, and 5 calculates to 113 IBUs. If I keep boil and batch size both at 5.5 gallons, it calculates to 100 IBUs, but if I change the boil size to 3 gallons, it calculates to 63 IBUs. That really doesn't make sense. Why would extract have so much less hop utilization than all grain, after all isn't extract really all grain wort that someone else made and then packed and sold?

This comes down to IBU equations and boil gravity:

There are two IBU equations available under the More... section on the recipe editor - Tinseth and Rager. As the theory goes with the Tinseth and Rager equations - boil gravity impacts hop utilization. Essentially, these scientists found a lower boil gravity leads to higher hop utilization and higher IBUs. There has been debate about this recently, but we have not seen any studies that show a different or 'better' IBU equation should be in place. If anyone has a reference please let us know.

At BF, the boil gravity is displayed under the More... button on the recipe editor, above Original Gravity on the left. A higher boil volume, keeping fermentables the same, means a lower boil gravity (since the solution is more dilute).

Just now I was fiddling with a recipe, and it looks like the Rager equation factors in the boil gravity to a lesser extent.

So, given all that background, I recommend setting the boil volume to what you plan to use on brew day. I believe the total volume should count the dissolved extract. I personally think there is some truth to this - when I was an extract brewer I noticed a bitterness boost when I switched to doing half the extract at the end of the boil (marked as a late addition in the recipe editor).

It is frustrating that there are multiple IBU 'answers', with none or all being the right one. Each brewer needs to dial in their own method and use these equations as a guideline.

Hi, I am using the software on an iPad, I can't find the scale recipe command referenced in the FAQ...

Anybody know what's going on with brewersfriend.com? Their website is redirecting to other random sites.

It is down now. It has really gone downhill since Groupbuilder bought it.

I find that it still works better than most other beer calculators. I have seen the website features stagnate though. It's too bad because there was a whole lot of promise with the service.

Back