Insane 5L starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EdgeBrew

Reaction score
I have been reading and listening to podcasts regarding yeast starters. I want to do a few big beers and was recommended a 5L erlenmyer flask. This thing is huge!!! Much bigger than I ha imagined.

Ignoring the process, do you actually put one vial into 5L of wort to make a 5L starter?

image-984073296.jpg

I haven't made a starter that big but I would think you'd want to step up to 5L I would start with 1 vial in a 2L starter. Let that go a couple days then decant and pitch that yeast into a 5L starter. Just my opinion as I said I have no experience with making a starter that size.

My only concern with the 5 L starter is the potential for the kräusen to go crazy on you. In my experience, if my wort is down in the relatively wide part of the flask them no foam problems. If its up closer to the neck like 5 L in a 5 L Erlenmeyer would be, then you may have some issues. I've had it push my foam stoppers right out of the flask. When I need big starters I usually step the yeast up with two smaller volume starters. yeastcalc.com has a nifty program that will calculate your steps for you.

yes, you can do a 5L starter from one pack. definitely use yeastcalc to determine what your best strategy is, you can see the growth difference between a single 5L starter or stepping up with 2 smaller ones, and make your decision based on that. but big lagers for example will require two consecutive 5L steps from one yeast pack.
i have a similar 5L erlenmeyer and the actual capacity (as you can see in your pic) is well over 5L, so you really can stir 5L in it without fear of it foaming over. if you're not stirring then it could go over the top.

One vial of yeast (100 billion cells) is good for up to 4 gallons (15 liters) of 1.035 wort so you should have no problem with 5 liters.

You could also make a ~2.5L starter and then decant and put the slurry into another container. Leave some of the slurry in the flask and pour another ~2.5 L of chilled wort on top of it for starter #2. Not very scientific but you'd probably come out with about the right number of yeast cells.

I've been wanting to get a big erlenmeyer for a while now. You're just making me jealous. You should have no problem doing a single step starter as long as you're using one of the calculators. Careful about blowoff, though.

Cool. Thanks all for your help.

The flask was actually reasonably cheap $40 AU. I have the bits to make a stir plate now too, also cheap. I'll give it a go. I want to make a Pliny the elder clone from NHC recipes next.

Cool. Thanks all for your help.

The flask was actually reasonably cheap $40 AU. I have the bits to make a stir plate now too, also cheap. I'll give it a go. I want to make a Pliny the elder clone from NHC recipes next.

Then the stir plate is the next step! Go for it!

I use my 5L for lager starters. I will use 2 vials to avoid step up and figure $5 more for 5 gallons of beer that will take 6+ months to be ready is worth it.

Here's my starter..goin to step it up tonight...
It's 4 vials of 007 on a stirplate..for 10 anv ruination clone (15gallons)
Igotsand

ForumRunner_20121114_085055.png

igotsand said:
Here's my starter..goin to step it up tonight...
It's 4 vials of 007 on a stirplate..for 10 anv ruination clone (15gallons)
Igotsand

Is that a mesh bag on top of it? I might have to steal that idea. Sometimes my starters get away from me and push the foam stopper out.

I use the mesh bag so those dang pesky flys won't get into a starter..I hate losing money(x vials + dme, sugar)....cause its happened once in the past...
I also use foil, just in case the mesh bag fails.cause the last thing is you want is to have an infected starter..
Igotsand

You could also make a ~2.5L starter and then decant and put the slurry into another container. Leave some of the slurry in the flask and pour another ~2.5 L of chilled wort on top of it for starter #2. Not very scientific but you'd probably come out with about the right number of yeast cells.

If you use yeastcalc.com you'll find that the combination of two 2.5L starters will give you MORE cells than a single 5L starter. Actually, it will get you almost half again as many yeast cells at the end.

I have the first step of a two step starter schedule going right now (made last night). Using .7L and 1L starters, I'll get more cells than a 3L starter would provide. Of course, I'm using a stirplate to make the starters finish faster and use smaller starters. :rockin:

I make 4L starters in a 5L flask and use a stir plate. Crank the stir plate up and the krausen doesn't build up too much.

Can't wait to crank it up. The stir bar I bought is 28mm, the only one this shop had. Is that big enough for this 5L flask?

Can't wait to crank it up. The stir bar I bought is 28mm, the only one this shop had. Is that big enough for this 5L flask?

1.1" long could be ok, but you might want to pick up some more. I typically use one in the 1.25"-1.5" length for my 2L and 3L flasks. Depending on how much volume is in the flask. As long as you can get a good vortex going, without tossing the bar, you're good.

Back