cold crash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wouldn't worry about too long - I would just think in terms of how much more time will do any good? I think after 3 - 5 days, you can easily keg and condition without much fear of having a lot of stuff floating around the beer.

If you are looking to bulk age ale, then cold crashing is not the same thing.

Well, when it's in the keg it's cold crashing til it's gone. So, basically your not hurting the beer by leaving it in the fridge. But, I agree with the above, after 3-5 days it's fine to keg and if your trying to condition the beer, then the fridge is not the place for it to be.

Yeah I not tryin to condition the beer. My plan is to start kegging and cold crashing a third keg until one of the other 2 kick. My next move is to do this for a bit then step up the pipeline to a 3 keg operation. ( sounds a little weird I know ) I didn't figure there was such a thing as too long of a cold crash just wanted to ask

I'm assuming your only doing ales here - Your best bet is to crash for 3 - 5 days, keg in your spare keg, put it on gas if you have a spare co2 tank. If you don't have a spare co2 tank, you can disconnect the tank from your active kegs, connect it up to your spare keg (now full of beer), turn up the pressure to 25 or so and shake a bit. Leave it there during the day when your not drinking from the active kegs (or several days if you can manage). reduce the pressure and reconnect to your active kegs. There is a lot more on this in the stickies in the kegging section.

If you can swing it - keep an eye on craigslist for a spare co2 tank so you can just use the set it and forget it mode to carbonate.

Yeah I'm planning on getting a split setup to keep them all pressurized I saw all the stickies on kegging that why I didn't ask a kegging question but thanks for all the answers

Back