Bottling Tomorrow

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pfranco81

Reaction score
I'm bottling tomorrow and one of my beers warned that it used a highly flocculant yeast. And since I've had it in secondary for almost 4 weeks, I figured it would be good to add some extra yeast just to be careful.

The beer is a Norther Brewer ESB. The only yeast I have around is Safale US-05. Should I just hydrate the packet and toss it in with the beer and priming sugar?

Also, is one whole packet enough/too much? I was thinking of maybe spliting it up between the ESB and my Dry Irish Stout

4-6 weeks from pitching generally isn't long enough to drop out enough yeast that you can't carbonate.

Pitching some extra yeast won't hurt though (at worst you get a little extra sediment in the bottles). I would only use half the yeast pack though, and yes definitely rehydrate it properly before you mix it in with your priming solution.

I've had beers sit for over 3 months in secondary and they still bottle carbonated with no problems using only priming sugar. Adding yeast is probably not necessary.

Back