American IPA Sierra Nevada Celebration Clone 2013

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just ordered a brew pot and gas burner so I can begin AG brewing. Methinks this may be first on the to do list, cheers for the recipe and all the replies.

Cochised - are you in Dublin? What a great place to brew a beer, glad you've ordered your equipment!

I brewed a variation of this back before Thanksgiving. Due to poor timing and traveling around the holidays, I ended up doing a 9 day dry hop. I know that is a longer than ideal dryhop, but I've heard of longer. I'm getting a very grassy/metallic taste to this beer even after bottle conditioning for 8 weeks. I thought it would've mellowed out by now. Just wondering if anyone had a similar experience or if anybody has any input. It was a 5 gallon batch. Here is my hop schedule:

Chinook (US) 1.0 oz 60 min
Cascade (US) 1.36 oz 10 min
Centennial (US) 1.36 oz 10 min
Centennial (US) 1.0 oz dryhop 9 days
Chinook (US) 1 oz dryhop 9 days
Cascade (US) 1.0 oz dryhop 9 days

JJW - I did not get a grassy or metallic taste to the beer, I got lots of malt flavor with plenty of hops (and a pine aroma) coming through. Not sure where that metallic flavor is coming from, but I have heard that extended dry hopping can produce grassy flavors. That being said, I've dry hopped brews for 9 days before without a problem.

Maybe someone with more experience can weigh in!

My most recent IPA has been dry hopped in a keg for two weeks now & I am not getting any metallic tastes at all.

I hope it holds true...

Plan on making this tomorrow.

I've had a hankerin' for an IPA for a couple weeks here now, and it was a toss up if I brew this or denny's wry smile rye IPA... This won due to me having almost all the hops on hand already... and 1056 slurry.

Needless you are my hero! I randomly grabbed a case of Celebration at my local Costco a while back and fell in love. Since then I've been looking for a clone. If your clone is anywhere close I'm in your debt!

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Home Brew mobile app

This came out FANTASTICALLY. So good, despite a few minor mishaps on my part. I'm drinking my second one for the night before I hide them all away from my fiance who's turning into a hop head. A definite make again, and soon.

Minkforce - my wife is a hophead as well and drank most of mine. Glad it turned out well for you. Be sure to share some pics when you have time. Did you bottle or keg?

Minkforce - my wife is a hophead as well and drank most of mine. Glad it turned out well for you. Be sure to share some pics when you have time. Did you bottle or keg?

Bottled it up-not ready to dive into kegging quite yet, but enlisting my brew buddy for bottling days may convince him to chip in.

ScreenShot2014-02-06at122122AM.jpg

not up to par with my usual photography, but waiting to see if i ever make some labels as well

I have drank a few of them. I am disappointed in myself because I dry hopped for too long and the taste is off. Of course I won't let it go to waste....but I will be redoing this recipe in the near future. Just got my Barley Crusher in last night too. Strength wise, this beer turned out to be 7.2%, just no aroma and a harsh flavor ( all of which I caused accidentally)

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I just brewed my favorite robust porter, which has always been a favorite, and let it ferment way higher than it should have, and racked it to the keg too early, so I am getting some off flavors. I'll drink it but won't give it out and it's not the same as the really good drink I'm used to. It's always a bummer when a brew doesn't turn out quite right, but in our hobby we always get a second (or third) shot at it!

Ronarse - now that you have a barley crusher you should try some smaller batch brew in a bag recipes (quicker brew days/less clean up). I just did my first BIAB and it's great for experimenting with new recipes and trying smaller batch recipes. I use my grain mill to double crush the grains and help my efficiency. I blogged about it here:

http://boykingbrewhaus.com/2014/02/07/brew-day-bells-two-hearted-clone-biab/

I brewed a variation of this yesterday. I split the bittering hops between Chinook & Centennial like the SN guy recommended (their website also reflects this). I can't figure out how to export the recipe from beersmith as text, so here is a link to my version on BrewToad:

http://brewtoad.com/recipes/sierra-nevada-celebration-ipa-1

My numbers are a bit weird because I have to use a smaller pot on my stove so I split the wort into a couple different smaller pots but only hop the main 4G pot. Looking forward to sampling this one!

Here's my take on the Jamil show 100 BBL recipe related by Steve Dresler on the Jamil show in 2011. I scaled the recipe down from 3100 gal to five gals in MS Excel and tweaked it using BeerrSmith. My first attempt came out a little darker and maltier than the commercial example, but was still quite nice. This is my second attempt and I asked my LHBS (thebreshop.biz, Fredericksburg, VA) to make sure I had all British pale and crystal malts to more closely match the example recipe. This has been in the Primary since the 17th, and today's gravity was 1.020. Still a little cloudy, plenty of yeasies in suspension, so it should hit my 1.015 target just fine. Next up is a rack to secondary for 7 days then 3 days dry hop with 3 oz of hop pellets. I'll bottle on 7 March and ship to the 2014 AHA Homebrewers Competition in Pilly on the 10th of March 2014. Should be nicely carb'ed up by judging time.

Here's the recipe. I left off the water additions but you want high Calcium/Sulfate/Bicarbonate (hard water) to make the hops pop. I use Brun' Water Pale Ale base with my local water profile and adjust from there.

Mash @ 152 for 60 mins
12 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (3.0 SRM) Grain - 80.0 %
2 lbs Muntons Crystal Malt (40.0 SRM) Grain - 13.3 %
1 lbs Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain - 6.7 %

0.75 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [19.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop - 43.7 IBUs

1.00 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining
1.00 oz Cascade [7.10 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop - 9.6 IBUs
0.50 oz Centennial [9.10 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop - 6.1 IBUs

1.00 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Boil 10.0 mins) Other

1.00 oz Cascade [7.10 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop - 0.0 IBUs
0.50 oz Centennial [9.10 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop - 0.0 IBUs

2 L starter of WLP001 pitched at 68 Deg F

Primary 10 days at 68 ending at 68.
Secondary 7 Days at 68 then 3 days dry hop.

2.00 oz Cascade [7.10 %] - Dry Hop 3.0 Days Hop - 0.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Centennial [9.10 %] - Dry Hop 3.0 Days Hop - 0.0 IBUs

Vitals

Measured OG = 1.069
Est FG = 1.015
Est Bitterness = 59 IBU
Color = SRM 11.5
Est ABV = 7.0

Enjoy!

Here's my take on the Jamil show 100 BBL recipe related by Steve Dresler on the Jamil show in 2011. I scaled the recipe down from 3100 gal to five gals in MS Excel and tweaked it using BeerrSmith. My first attempt came out a little darker and maltier than the commercial example, but was still quite nice. This is my second attempt and I asked my LHBS (thebreshop.biz, Fredericksburg, VA) to make sure I had all British pale and crystal malts to more closely match the example recipe. This has been in the Primary since the 17th, and today's gravity was 1.020. Still a little cloudy, plenty of yeasies in suspension, so it should hit my 1.015 target just fine. Next up is a rack to secondary for 7 days then 3 days dry hop with 3 oz of hop pellets. I'll bottle on 7 March and ship to the 2014 AHA Homebrewers Competition in Pilly on the 10th of March 2014. Should be nicely carb'ed up by judging time.

Here's the recipe. I left off the water additions but you want high Calcium/Sulfate/Bicarbonate (hard water) to make the hops pop. I use Brun' Water Pale Ale base with my local water profile and adjust from there.

Mash @ 152 for 60 mins
12 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (3.0 SRM) Grain - 80.0 %
2 lbs Muntons Crystal Malt (40.0 SRM) Grain - 13.3 %
1 lbs Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain - 6.7 %

0.75 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [19.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop - 43.7 IBUs

1.00 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining
1.00 oz Cascade [7.10 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop - 9.6 IBUs
0.50 oz Centennial [9.10 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop - 6.1 IBUs

1.00 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Boil 10.0 mins) Other

1.00 oz Cascade [7.10 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop - 0.0 IBUs
0.50 oz Centennial [9.10 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop - 0.0 IBUs

2 L starter of WLP001 pitched at 68 Deg F

Primary 10 days at 68 ending at 68.
Secondary 7 Days at 68 then 3 days dry hop.

2.00 oz Cascade [7.10 %] - Dry Hop 3.0 Days Hop - 0.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Centennial [9.10 %] - Dry Hop 3.0 Days Hop - 0.0 IBUs

Vitals

Measured OG = 1.069
Est FG = 1.015
Est Bitterness = 59 IBU
Color = SRM 11.5
Est ABV = 7.0

Enjoy!

I did this exact same recipe except I used Chinook as the bittering, .75 oz. I think...

I had read somewhere that they mashed at 157.5, so I mashed at that temp - long story short, it must have been bad info because it finished as 1.022 and was obviously very sweet... It wasn't necessarily bad but wasn't Celebration either.

I will run this recipe the next time at the lower mash temp.

I hit all of the other numbers as described.

This was the first pour from the keg. It is much clearer now.

935174_10203238059822025_97467691_n.jpg

my brother is a huge fan of celebration, so this weekend i'll introduce him to the process and brew this one up! thanks for the recipe.

Brewed it again...

From a post by Denny Conn on the Northern Brewer forum.. I mashed @ 151 for 75 minutes. OG of 1.060.

Fermenting @ 70 degrees on WL001

Directly from SN...

89% pale malt (or DME)
11% crystal 60
.5 oz. each Chinook and Centennial at 60 min.
2.5 oz. Centennial at 10 min.
1 oz. Cascade/.5 oz. Centennial at flameout
1 oz. Cascade/.5 oz. Centennial dry hop

Shoot for 1.064 OG and 65 IBU

This recipe came directly from SN brewmaster Steve Dressler

I may be a little behind on this but the OG poster noted a 90 min boil time but the first hop additions were at 60 mins. Is there anyone here who has gotten good results off then original recipe or is this revised one better. Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

This is becoming my go to brew. I have gotten a lot of compliments on this one, and have a ten gallon batch in the carboy. If you liked this beer I suggest trying it.

Andy - don't know how I missed your post, but I'm glad it turned out good. I really enjoy Celebration, and still think this recipe is about as close as it comes. I am looking forward to it coming out soon (although I'm enjoying Flip Side now).

I just bought the ingredients to start brewing the clone for the fall and am looking forward to it!

For those interested, I have the BeerXML file on my blog here.

Did not see that issue; thanks for sharing. I've got the ingredients for the original recipe I posted and am looking forward to brewing it shortly for the holidays!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Thank you all for sharing. I just started drinking a Green Flash WCIPA clone, really good. I have the ingredients for this too. Maybe this week.
A reminder to myself to read all the pages for the recipes.

Can I dry hop in primary after fermantation finish or is better to skip this part?

Hi all,

Virgin newbie here and this will be my 1st brew. I have some experience, watchin a mate do all told, 3 brews but never myself.

Does anyone know should I add spraymalt in at the end to aid carbonation in the bottle???
Any advice gratefully accepted/

Brewed the 2012 recipe today.. 1.068.

88.5% Pale & 11.5 Fawcett 40-50L Crystal produced a dead on match to the original as far as color.

When it becomes a mass produced beer, a lot is lost from the original ... just
my $.2

2014 edition had more to do with minimal availability of preferred UK crystal malt.

This according to those I spoke with at the brewery in NC.

Back