Your extract brew water.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doubleb

Reaction score
I'm wondering what some of the extract brewers here use for water.

Upon reading an article in the current BYO I have realized a new notion. Malt extracts still have all the minerals from the water from which they were made. I will be using distilled water for a portion of my next beer. I always use tap water for the mash/sparge/boil. Then I use 3 gallons of store bought drinking water for cooling the wort.

This article has prompted a change so I'm thinking I'll boil and cool water and use half this and half tap for the mash/sparge. My next brew is gonna be my first PM w/ 5 lbs of grain so I'll not go crazy with the distilled for now. What are you using?

I have three one gallon water jugs that I picked up at the local "Water Store". They are a higher quality plastic, so they should last a good long time (I'm only doing 5 gallon batches for now). When i'm ready to brew, I sanitize the jugs and swing buy a water filter machine on my way home from work, $0.25 per gallon for triple filtered water. Throw the three jugs in the fridge. I boil my wrort with tap water from the kitchen sink. 2.5 gallons. (give or take for boil off) Once the wort is chilled to a reasonable temp, i pull the jugs from the fridge, pour them vigerously into the primary and follow with my cooled wort. Drops me to a good pitching temp and away we go. My "Basic Wheat" Is in the bottle right now and tastes sweeter then any brew I've had from the bar. :)

I read that article this afternoon right before a brewing session and was surprised that I had never thought of or read about the minerals already in the extract. I considered going to get some distilled water but said what the hell. I will try it on my next brew and see if I can detect a difference in quality.
:mug:

In Primary----Octoberfest (I know Late start)
Bottled -------West coast Ale
Kegged-------Belgian Wit
On Deck-----Black Dog Stout

I use tap/well water with my DME. It's already super saturated and has lots of minerals. I'm not sure how anyone could know(or even worry about) their water composition without knowing how the malt extract was made.

I use tap water for the boil and to top it off. I usually add a gallon or so of water into the carboy, then add the wort once it's reasonably cooled down, then the rest of the water to get it to 5gal. That seems to introduce a good amount of oxygen.

My local grocery store, HEB, has a water vending machine for $0.35 a gallon of Reverse Osmosis, filtered, UV treated water. I use it to make a 5 gallon jug of StarSan solution that lasts forever. I'd bet it would be good for an extract brew too.

I use Lake Superior Artesian Well water From the deepest cleanest freshwater lake in the US
Sup-Bay2005-090m.jpg

Back