Stuck fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bookem15

Reaction score
Brewed an amber on feb 21st and did a 600ml starter with washed yeast and my SG was 1.063 and it took off and fermented great for about 4 days and now I took a reading and it is still at 1.030 and only throws a bubble every 40 seconds or so. Should I just do another starter and repitch or let it go for a couple more weeks?

Thanks

Tom

Do another starter. Make sure it is of the right volume for your brew and the right amount of yeast is being pitches. Use www.mrmalty.com to calculate it. You also add the starter when it is fully going for it so the yeast is ready to much at your brew. Just throwing a packet of year in won't do it as the pitch rate is too litre and the cells are still sleepy. Remember, you have already just pitched yeast, and that didn't work.

Its also worth checking the temperature of your brew and adjusting to make it the right environment for the yeast.

Was this brew from a kit, all grain, partial mash? The only time I had a stuck fermentation was from an old kit, which want airatted enough when I made the wort. Oh, good point, don't airate your wort now, its too late and you will encourage off flavours. Instead, remember to properly airate your next batch before adding the yeast.

Hope that helps.

homebeerbrewer said:
I don't know if repitching is the answer. What kind of yeast? What temp? Did you aerate well? Is it extract or all grain? If it was all grain, what temp was the mash? A lot of factors to consider before repitching.

Yeast was us04 temp 64 degrees aeration was good all grain Mashed at 154

Latest posts

Back