Leftover grain recipe help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

two_hearted

Reaction score
Hello, I don't expect someone to do all my work for me, but I could use a push in the right direction.

Basically, I am leaving the country for a month and would like to use up my grain and yeast I have on hand. Before I just throw it all in the pot I thought I'd see if anyone could help me make a decent beer by tweaking percentages. I usually follow well researched recipes and haven't really created any on my own.

I'm going for a 3 gal batch. I feel like I may not need the full .5# of the last three grains.
I have:

4# 2-row
1# white wheat
.5# crystal 50-60
.5# special roast
.5# roasted barley

2 oz cascade pellets
1 oz cascade whole leaf
1 oz hallertau pellets

Wyeast 1056
I have a few adjuncts laying around (honey, etc.)

I'm happy using it all, or using parts. I just want to make a decent brew. Thanks in advance.

I'm not a huge super high IBU fan so I would not use all those hops for a 3 gallon batch - at least in the boil. Think about using the 2 oz of cascade in dry hop or just save them for another batch.

I would also not use any more than about 2 oz of roasted barley for this grain bill. I think it would come out nasty bitter.

I created this on beercalculus for you - check it out if you want.

http://hopville.com/recipe/441562/home-brew/maxams-leftovers

Hey thanks! Yeah, I ordered those specialty grains for a 5 gal batch, so I figured I should probably cut back.

I like to skimp on the bittering and go more aroma with hops and will definitely dry hop with the whole leaf cascades.

all depends what you want to brew.

using all the grains (maybe cut 2-4oz of the special roast) and bitter with 1oz hops to around 30-35ibus (maybe a 0.25-0.5oz late hop as well) would make a solid dry stout

dropping the roasted barley, and varying the amounts of special roast and crystal, 1oz cascade @60 and use up the rest late gives you a variety of APAs

all depends what you want to brew.

using all the grains (maybe cut 2-4oz of the special roast) and bitter with 1oz hops to around 30-35ibus (maybe a 0.25-0.5oz late hop as well) would make a solid dry stout

dropping the roasted barley, and varying the amounts of special roast and crystal, 1oz cascade @60 and use up the rest late gives you a variety of APAs

Dry stout is a great idea.
Omit the crystal and special roast, use all the roasted barley and a pound or two of quick oats from the grocery store (as a flaked barley sub) bitter for 30-40 ibu and you're set! :mug:

Back