Wort sitting overnight without yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Troxs

Reaction score
So I brewed what I called me Bad Luck Pale Ale yesterday, and it is named that because of the unfortunate events that happened during the brew process.Dumped 5 gallons of sanitizer on the floor in the kitchen carrying it to the garage. Turned my back while sparging, and had the hose from my mash tun fall from the pot causing about a gallon to flow onto my garage floor - it was stick as hell this morning. Dropped my new 6 gallon glass carboy onto my big toe just before moving my wort from kettle, mind you I am 6'6'' so it was a long fall.

Now the worst part of the day was that I found my yeast starter flask empty when I went to pitch the yeast. I forgot to make a starter, and seeing as though this was a bigger beer (Target 1.093) I took the yeast from my beer fridge and grabbed 1.5 liters of the boiled wort and went to pitch my yeast in there in hopes that I would be able to pitch the starter either tonight or tomorrow morning. Even though now it seems that the starter is not doing much.

Could keeping post-boiled wort in a clean sanitized seal bucket for a few days harm it?

everything was clean. I am a sanitation freak. Normally I have almost 10 gallons or sanitizer around while I'm brewing, and this time I actually had 5 gallons that was in the carboy all over the garage where I was working.

But I shouldn't expect any off flavors really your saying. The SWIMBO just called and told me "that flask thingy is bubbling a lot, and the dog is freaking out over it... can I move it from the kitchen counter" so when I get home I'll be pitching my yeast anyway. only a 24 hour period with no yeast.

You really don't need more than a spray bottle of StarSan for sanitizing everything. 5-10 gallons is a waste. I brewed today and made a quart of StarSan which I used to sanitize my 15 gallon fermenter. Normally I could do it with less but I was a bit lazy and just swirled it around every 10 minutes or so to do the job. Then poured it out to sanitize some other items that I used.

I am sure you will have a drinkable beer with no problems, but I firmly believe that the faster you get the yeast in and working the better the end product will be and less chance for wild yeast or other organisms to take hold.

I know I don't need that much, but I make a 5 gallon bucket so I can throw everything I am using in it instead of trying to find a place to put it down. Plus I manage a restaurant and we use a a brewers sanitizer so it doesn't cost me anything. Plus I make the sanitizer in my fermentation bucket to make sure it stays clean.

With that many things gone wrong, this beer is guaranteed to be GREAT! It always works that way!

btw... what does the "I" in "SWIMBO" stand for?

It was supposed to be SWMBO, I pronounce is as one word in my head "Swim-Bo" I was just typing fast

I know. I was just givin' ya crap. You only have 37 posts so it's understandable you didn't catch that. Expect it to happen often if you hang around longer. ;)

I have been hanging around the forums for a while now, it just is not often that I post. I love this place, and actually a crazy fact. I would have never gotten into homebrewing if not for my SWMBO - she bought me my first kit to brew an extract and ale pale. It gives me a bit of power being able to tell her (when she gets made about my brewing) "Well, I'm just using the birthday gift you bought me"

Latest posts

Back