SuperiorBrew's DITCHES

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love the pump/valve assemblies. Can you show an image if them plumbed as on brew day? I would LOVE to use a similar set-up on mine so I don't have to switch hoses. I to use the Tri Clamps and love the set-up. LOOKS GREAT!!!!!!!!!
almost2.jpg

I will when they are setup. Next up is finishing the conduit. That should be done by this weekend. Then I need to mount the pumps to the stand.

Then I need to bend a whole bunch of stainless tubing.

I will give updates whenever anything happens.

The first post shows a schematic of how the plumbing works and where the connections go. It should make sense if you watch the animation. If you have any questions, ask away!

So I made some calls around town and it is ridiculously expensive to have custom bending done. The only reputable places I could find were asking for thousands of dollars... no thanks.

SuperiorBrew ordered a Swagelok tubing bender and I will be doing the bends myself.

Anyway, here is a layout shot of how I am going to arrange the bends, hard to see how it goes, but thought I would post it up.

Plumbing_routing_Back_view_.bmp

Finished up the burner assemblies last night and finally had a chance to flip the switch.... no gas flow.

Damn it.

Oh well, it wouldn't be a one-off if everything went 100% perfect. The gas solenoid valves require 110VAC to operate, and the spark ignition controller only supplies 24VAC. I need to install a 24VAC→120VAC relay.

I found these DIN rail mounted ones from McMaster that should do nicely and not take up any more space in the box. #8262T11

I guess it will be this weekend before I see the real fire power :D

The sparks work though, and that is awesome to see. I is also nice just to have the panel light up.

:NOTE: I updated the first post with the newest version of the wiring diagram including the SSRs.

Firing like the champion it is. I have a fully functional battle station (burner wise). Next up is mounting the pumps and bending the stainless.

Lehr is making some pump shrouds for me and I am really excited to see this thing in action!

Any progress?? I noticed that you took your builds out of your sig line. Bummer, I checked in on them every now and then and that made it convenient to do.

Hmmm.... I don't know what happened to my sig line.... I'll look into it thanks.

I have made a lot of progress. I am mounting the pumps this weekend and should have the plumbing done soon. Then it is off to the races.

I am just super busy, I literally haven't wanted to take the time to take pictures. Soon though....

I understand the busy thing. Have been trying to start a build for months. Something else always gets in the way.

By the way, how is the swagelok bender working out??

The swagelok bender is unreal. Seriously an impressive tool. Perfect bends and it is really easy to make accurate layouts. One of the more impressive tools I have used. I am using super thin walled stainless too.

Man that swagelock looks like the cadillac of tubing benders
swagelok-tubing-bender.jpg

I use a bender like this:
Oct_3_024.301181218_std.JPG

Works great on copper, haven't tried it on SS.

Where did you get your .020 wall tubing? I got some .032 from nybrewsupply and am unhappy with the bends I am getting.

I'm using the following bender by IMPERIAL:

3KE42.JPG

Just looked at NYBrewSupply. It seems that they only have .020 listed on their site. If I had to guess the heavier the wall the easier it is to get a nice bend. (from steel experience, not stainless) The thinner material seems to kink in crinkle easier.

Might have been .020 then, but I'm still getting wrinkles even using a blow torch and sand. Oh well, don’t want to hijack this thread talking about tube bending. I’ll post this else where.

It is 99% finished. I brewed several test batches. I have just been VERY busy and haven't gotten any pictures. I know Rich is sending me a HD videocam and I am going to do a high quality video of the rig.

Sweet, can't wait to see pics and video of this beast. It is really a nice piece of work from the looks of the first pics!!

This setup is awesome. I'm still learning about the bigger brewing systems (HERMS RIMS), but I've never seen the double cooling coils, thats a pretty great idea. Good work!

I'm an EE, so I drool when I see the wire ducting, the NEMA enclosure, the terminal blocks, spark cable wrapping, etc.

I am inspired by your DITCHES. It is miraculous, truly.

This is a beautiful thing. I live just down the road in Jackson, so I hope to be able to see it in action sometime.

Justin did a great job of putting it together for me unfortunately between several hunting seasons & work I did not get a chance to test drive it, but after Christmas I will be brewing up a storm & I will get lots of pics and a video posted.

Dude! Is it wrong that i have a man crush on you?:D

Probably the most innovative and intricate rig I have seen to date!

Is it wrong to ask how much something like this would cost you to make for me?:mug:

Excellent job and beautiful work!

Joe

Back