Is flocculated yeast in suspension normal after adding gelatin?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

impatient

Reaction score
I added 1 tablespoon of gelatin to 1/2 cup of water and heated it up to 170 until it was clear. Then I chilled it to 60 degrees. I figured it was right because it did not coagulate when chilled.

I added this to my secondary.

Today, I have floculated yeast hanging in suspension. I was planning on bottling tomorrow.

Is this normal?

When can I bottle?

Flocculated yeast hanging in suspension seems like an oxymoron to me. Do you mean you still have yeast in suspension? For me, it takes up to 2 days in my kegerator to clear a beer with gelatin.

Ok, whatever you call it. There are "flake like" chunks in suspension. The chunks look more like flakes that would be in the bottom of a SNPA.

Sorry my camera sucks for taking pics like this. You can see the flakes hanging in suspension.

DSCN0337.JPG

Sorry Edcculus, I guess the man with the dictionary has a different definition of flocculate than we do. Maybe someone else can help him. :rolleyes:

Sorry Edcculus, I guess the man with the dictionary has a different definition of flocculate than we do. Maybe someone else can help him. :rolleyes:

Don't be salty because you didn't have an answer to the question.

Maybe a little more information will help.

AG batch
11.5 2-row
.5 Crystal 60
1oz Magnum 60
1oz Perle 20
1oz Cascade 10
Notty

2 weeks primary
2 weeks secondary
Gelatin was added 36 hours ago

Can I bottle in the morning?

Here's my answer, NO, it's not normal, because FLOCCULATED yeast will be sitting in the bottom of your fermenter. Salty??? Really? Now that's just silly!!!

BTW, give the gelatin a couple more days to work, sometimes the yeast is just stubborn.

OR, put some sort of filter(sanitized, of course) on the end of your racking cane when transferring to you bottling bucket to catch the floaties.

Flocculates tend to fall to the bottom given enough time (Stokes' law). [Basically, big things fall down faster than small things.] But a flocculate is not the same as a precipitate.

For reference, I ended up sitting this in the garage over night, it was 20 - 30 degrees. All of the flocs of yeast fell by morning and I bottled.

I don't think I'll use it again. From looking at the bottles, I do not notice much difference. I think the haziness I get in my big beers is protein. I have to start using irish moss above OG 1.070.

Back