Clone Beer Founder's Breakfast Stout Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sure. I use a French press. I add 2 oz of whole bean coffee which I grind coarsely. I usually use any Starbucks dark roast for my coffee of choice. My French press holds about a liter of water so I just apporx. 1 liter of cold water to the ground coffee in the press and then put the lid on and put it in my fridge to steep overnight. When I'm ready to bottle, I press the coffee and then pour it in my bottling bucket with my priming sugar. Hope that helps!

Planning to do this one Soon. Going to dry bean with whole kona and Sumatra beans for 4-5 days before kegging.

Has anyone dropped the chocolate or cocoa powder in the boil in favor of just dry nibbing with 4oz of cocoa nibs? How did it turn out? I was thinking of adding a vanilla bean or two to round out the nib flavor. Wondering if dealing with the mess of whole chocolate is worth it.

Planning to do this one Soon. Going to dry bean with whole kona and Sumatra beans for 4-5 days before kegging.

Has anyone dropped the chocolate or cocoa powder in the boil in favor of just dry nibbing with 4oz of cocoa nibs? How did it turn out? I was thinking of adding a vanilla bean or two to round out the nib flavor. Wondering if dealing with the mess of whole chocolate is worth it.

I added 2.5 oz. of powered dark bittersweet cocoa and 1.5 oz. unsweetened nibs at the last 15 minutes of the boil. The only thing I would do different is to put the nibs in a hop sack. They plugged my circ pump.

I added my course ground Sumatra when my post boil temp dropped to 190. I did put that into a hop sack. The Kona I cold pressed and added at bottling.

Also I split my 5 gallon batch and added 8 oz. of bourbon to 2-1/2 gallons at bottling. It has been 3 months and it's fantastic. Everything has mellowed and nothing is over powering. Great beer and will compare the non bourbon batch to a bottle of the original next month. I will brew this again but may put my bourbon on oak chips to add even more flavor. I feel it needs a bit of oak flavor.

Good brewing!!

I added 2.5 oz. of powered dark bittersweet cocoa and 1.5 oz. unsweetened nibs at the last 15 minutes of the boil. The only thing I would do different is to put the nibs in a hop sack. They plugged my circ pump.

I added my course ground Sumatra when my post boil temp dropped to 190. I did put that into a hop sack. The Kona I cold pressed and added at bottling.

Also I split my 5 gallon batch and added 8 oz. of bourbon to 2-1/2 gallons at bottling. It has been 3 months and it's fantastic. Everything has mellowed and nothing is over powering. Great beer and will compare the non bourbon batch to a bottle of the original next month. I will brew this again but may put my bourbon on oak chips to add even more flavor. I feel it needs a bit of oak flavor.

Good brewing!!

Thanks. Do you recall what brand of dark bittersweet cocoa powder you used? Is Hershey's unsweetened cocoa powder the same thing? Thanks again

From what I have read the unsweetened cocoa powder and bittersweet chocolate are not really interchangible. The bittersweet chocolate does have some sugar in it while unsweetened is just that is no sugar. I guess you can find bittersweet chocolate powder but it is more common and what I use is chocolate bars. Ghirardelli bittersweet chocolate bars can be found in the baking section in grocery stores.

From what I have read the unsweetened cocoa powder and bittersweet chocolate are not really interchangible. The bittersweet chocolate does have some sugar in it while unsweetened is just that is no sugar. I guess you can find bittersweet chocolate powder but it is more common and what I use is chocolate bars. Ghirardelli bittersweet chocolate bars can be found in the baking section in grocery stores.

That's what it looks like in doing some reading.
Do you pre melt it and add or throw it in chopped up?

Thanks. Do you recall what brand of dark bittersweet cocoa powder you used? Is Hershey's unsweetened cocoa powder the same thing? Thanks again

I'll get back tomorrow with the brand because we are not home. I did not use bars because of the oils in them and that can cause loss of head.

I'll get back tomorrow with the brand because we are not home. I did not use bars because of the oils in them and that can cause loss of head.
Thanks that was my thought with doubling up on the cocoa nibs but I'm definitely interested in your source for the powder

Thanks that was my thought with doubling up on the cocoa nibs but I'm definitely interested in your source for the powder

This what I bought but any brand would work and I found some today that cost less. I went with the powder because of what I read about the oils in the bars.

Luminous Organic Cacao Powder 8 0z. bag
Food To Live Organic Cacao Nibs 8 oz. bag

I don't think it needs to be organic but most of the brands are.

Good luck.

The bittersweet chocolate

I just throw it in at the 15 minute point. It comes large bars that have one ounce sections. I just break off 2.5 ounces and throw it in.

I need to check notes but I have used powdered chocolate and the bakers semisweet or is it bittersweet, 2 or 3x now. That mix has proven awesome. Ill try to find amounts. I like chocolate. Last 5 minutes at most I would think, broken slightly and stirred. Dont want to boil it too long/burn it (idk). Cold brew at kegging.

Edit, went back and checked my notes and also this led into a healthy look into cocoa vs. Cacao. The recipe calls for cocoa nibs, unsweetened. Thus cocoa powder would be a substitute unless thats a typo and or the flavor of cacao is desired. Assuming we are talking about cocoa, unsweetened cocoa powder has worked awesome for me along with the hard bittersweet. I gleaned that 1 oz cocoa powder is 30 grams. The recipe calls for 1.5oz/42 grams. I used 1/2 cup powder. Thus 60 grams and or 2 oz. I think this is the perfect amount for me, however I would be willing to double, tripple, etc...(i like chocolate wine too!).

Long winded way of saying 6 tbs (3/8 cups, 1/4 + 1/8) unsweet cocoa plus the 2.5 oz bar is known by me to be a great way to make this beer with cold brew at kegging. This recipe is so good.

Last edited:
I need to check notes but I have used powdered chocolate and the bakers semisweet or is it bittersweet, 2 or 3x now. That mix has proven awesome. Ill try to find amounts. I like chocolate. Last 5 minutes at most I would think, broken slightly and stirred. Dont want to boil it too long/burn it (idk). Cold brew at kegging.

Edit, went back and checked my notes and also this led into a healthy look into cocoa vs. Cacao. The recipe calls for cocoa nibs, unsweetened. Thus cocoa powder would be a substitute unless thats a typo and or the flavor of cacao is desired. Assuming we are talking about cocoa, unsweetened cocoa powder has worked awesome for me along with the hard bittersweet. I gleaned that 1 oz cocoa powder is 30 grams. The recipe calls for 1.5oz/42 grams. I used 1/2 cup powder. Thus 60 grams and or 2 oz. I think this is the perfect amount for me, however I would be willing to double, tripple, etc...(i like chocolate wine too!).

Long winded way of saying 6 tbs (3/8 cups, 1/4 + 1/8) unsweet cocoa plus the 2.5 oz bar is known by me to be a great way to make this beer with cold brew at kegging. This recipe is so good.

When I read your post I thought what did I do add the wrong chocolate!!!!!
I read this entire thread before brewing this beer and ended up reading much about the chocolate style and coffee additions.

I went with cacao over cocoa because of the concerns with oils and added sugar in cocoa that I read. Here are the post numbers I noted. 939, 961 & 996. Maybe it was all for nothing but I changed what the recipe called for and mine tastes great. Not saying cocoa would have been fine also.

From what I read on the web about the differences between the two it appears cocoa is more refined and some can have sugar and powdered milk added making it sweeter. Cacao is more the pure version and is a little more bitter and contains more nutrients if I really care about that. Just didn't want a sweeter beer.

Good luck all.

Good brewing!!

I was going to make this again with the following tweaks:

Cold steep both Sumatra & Kona coffee*
Add maple syrup (probably 2cups)
Maybe some whiskey soaked oak cubes (maybe)

* I know adding coffee at flame out add some bitterness of the coffee, but finding most of my drinking audience doesn’t like bitter the way I do.

Thoughts?

When I read your post I thought what did I do add the wrong chocolate!!!!!
I read this entire thread before brewing this beer and ended up reading much about the chocolate style and coffee additions.

I went with cacao over cocoa because of the concerns with oils and added sugar in cocoa that I read. Here are the post numbers I noted. 939, 961 & 996. Maybe it was all for nothing but I changed what the recipe called for and mine tastes great. Not saying cocoa would have been fine also.

From what I read on the web about the differences between the two it appears cocoa is more refined and some can have sugar and powdered milk added making it sweeter. Cacao is more the pure version and is a little more bitter and contains more nutrients if I really care about that. Just didn't want a sweeter beer.

Good luck all.
Just now getting back to this. As i have started making my own chocolate i have delved deep into cacao vs cocoa. Apparently chocolate has a lot of health benefits but I'm pretty sure they are only talking about cacao. I haven't eaten a lot of it but it's my understanding it has a little different taste. The flavor of chocolate that we all like is definitely cocoa powder. It can be refined and Dutch processed. It has very little health benefit and tastes really good. There is no powdered sugar or oil added as far as i know to the most basic of the baking powders in the baking isle. Baker's cocoa unsweetened struck me already as really tasty. America's Test Kitchen tasted them all and chose a Dutch processed chocolate. If you want that choclety rich flavor then imo superior quality unsweetened, refined, cocoa powder is what you want. I'm not saying that cacao isnt a good quality replacement or worth considering. Just that the taste we associate with chocolate is roasted and refined cacao. Either will do and they both have their merits. Please update us with the taste.

* I know adding coffee at flame out add some bitterness of the coffee, but finding most of my drinking audience doesn’t like bitter the way I do.

Thoughts?
Cold brew is way to go. Dont know about maple syrup. Can always add the Whiskey at bottling, commercial companies have to soak due to Puritan laws. Or soak to wood to sterilize it, sounds great. Founders released kbs it has amounts for wood and whiskey i think.

Thoughts?

Cold steep would be safe for sure. My first coffee addition I waited till my temp was at 190 deg.
I'm not a fan of maple flavor in beer but why not go for it.
As for the whiskey chips, I may also try chips with my bourbon.

As for both of my batches, the breakfast stout and the 2-1/2 gallons I added bourbon to, they both are great. We love the bourbon one most of all. Its been 6 months since brewing and it has changed throughout the months. Always has been good but really has blended well and the bourbon has mellowed out. Will make it again and may add oak chips to the bourbon.

I upped my grain on this recipe a tad and managed to get to 1.120 for my starting gravity for 5.25 gallons. I pitched 3 packs of S-04 with oxygen and plan on adding oxygen a couple times during primary. Is the S-04 gonna crap out completely? If so, what would be my best option to take it down further? I think S-04 yeast tolerance is 11%, but was not sure if it could go any further. 11% would put it around 85 gravity points at 1.035, and I did up the bitterness to about 70 IBU's and added some chipotle candi syrup. My goal was closer to KBS, but am not sure what flavor profile I will aim for just yet with other additions. 1.035 still seems pretty high for final gravity.

Would a high gravity ale yeast be my best option to take it down further? My mash was at 154, so it should have lots of fermentable sugar in there.

I would suggest WLP 007 the dry English ale strain. It has been a solid performer for me in high gravity situations pulling me up to 10.5% with small starter. With everything else you pitched, one pack should cover you. Otherwise, I go to 71b-1122 to dry things totally out.

Noted. Will see if I have any in my fridge when I get home. Normally I would use BE-256, but it also has a 11% tolerance also. I have not used wine yeast in a beer yet, but listened to Grant Wood do a homebrew club speech on brewing high gravity beers. He runs revolver brewing which makes blood and honey, but also was head brewer at Sam Adams and brewed Utopia. 2 yeasts was part of the plan for that beer. He even suggested bean-o as useful enzyme to break down sugar chains, but that is for crazy high gravity beers. Also, olive oil was mentioned for yeast health, but I did not bother with either of those. Adding oxygen during fermentation was okay during primary fermentation so I will give it a boost tomorrow on that front. Will see how it looks when I get home.

Have used the 71b in Belgian stouts mostly. Have triple pitched 04, 05, and the 71b to a far higher gravity than I expected once and that beer worked quite well. If you want to stick the the English strains I would do the 007. The 71b would be my fallback but without any reservations whatsoever. That stuff is surprisingly good (imo). Good luck!

It is time to brew this again. I will be brewing using some different yeast than S-04. My last version was sweet, but the chipotle candi syrup helped balanced it out. I still would rather have it drier though and may not go as hard on the abv as last time.

I always add extra base grain to boost the abv for making it closer to KBS and that will be the plan for this. My plan will be to dry hop coffee beans instead of adding anything to the boil and I will probably do that with cacao nibs, vanilla beans and some bourbon soaked oak chips.

I have made this almost every year for the past few years and it is my go to winter beer.

It is time to brew this again. I will be brewing using some different yeast than S-04. My last version was sweet, but the chipotle candi syrup helped balanced it out. I still would rather have it drier though and may not go as hard on the abv as last time.

I always add extra base grain to boost the abv for making it closer to KBS and that will be the plan for this. My plan will be to dry hop coffee beans instead of adding anything to the boil and I will probably do that with cacao nibs, vanilla beans and some bourbon soaked oak chips.

I have made this almost every year for the past few years and it is my go to winter beer.
Woot! Sounds great. I like to splash mine with 120 proof aged knob creek, or any other fine spirit as I drink it. Like the vanilla and oak ideas too, sweet! I used the atk winning droste dutch chocolate powder and it was good. Needed more 😀

This may have been gone over in this thread and if so, I apologize, but a quick search didn't reveal it.

So I've brewed this beer a few times a few years ago and it's always come out great. Reading through the original recipe on BYO again, I see they list:
- dark, bittersweet chocolate
- unsweetened chocolate baking nibs

I'm pretty sure for the baking nibs, I used something like this - Cacao Nibs (Ecuador) 4 oz.

And for the chocolate, I used bakers chocolate, like this:
918opETuK2L._SL1500_.jpg

But then I thought that if the cacao nibs are 100% cacao, then isn't the baker's chocolate just compressed ground up nibs? And if so, why use 2 different forms of the same thing?

But then I actually googled bittersweet chocolate and see it actually has sugar and cocoa butter in it - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JPGQPT0/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_Fz1MFbA4813ZA

Are people actually using something like that in there beer? I'm not terribly concerned with head retention in a stout like this, but still seems like I might not want to use that in a beer.

So looks like I've been using the wrong chocolate types in this recipe so I'm curious what people are actually using?

Estimated Original Gravity: 1.070 SG (1.048-1.065 SG)
Measured Original Gravity: 1.070 SG
Estimated Final Gravity: 1.017 SG (1.010-1.018 SG)
Measured Final Gravity: 1.020 SG
Estimated Color: 65.6 SRM (22.0-40.0 SRM)
Bitterness: 27.0 IBU (25.0-40.0 IBU)
Alpha Acid Units: 9.3 AAU
Estimated Alcohol by Volume: 6.97 % (4.20-5.90 %)

Amount Item Type % or IBU
3.00 lb Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 22.64 %
6.00 lb Northern Brewer - Gold (6.5 SRM) Extract 45.28 %
1.50 lb Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 11.32 %
1.00 lb Chocolate Malt (Simpsons) (450.0 SRM) Grain 7.55 %
0.75 lb Roasted Barley (Simpsons) (575.0 SRM) Grain 5.66 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) Grain 3.77 %
0.50 lb De-Bittered Black Malt (Dingemans) (550.0 SRM) Grain 3.77 %
0.50 oz Nugget [13.00 %] (60 min) Hops 20.4 IBU
0.50 oz Williamette [5.50 %] (30 min) Hops 6.6 IBU
0.50 oz Williamette [5.50 %] (0 min) Hops -
0.50 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Primary 3.0 days) Misc
1.00 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) Yeast-Ale

Back then, Founder's listed their IBU's much lower. They appear to have made a correction since then (60 IBU's), so this recipe would actually come in quite a bit lower in IBU's than their Breakfast Stout.

Founders 2019 Harvest Party - A Tribute to American Hops - Founders Brewing Co.
hello, from future message
no any coffee in the recipe ?

I brewed this using the recipe below and it turned out great. Mouthfeel is kind of light and velvety but its packed with chocolate and coffee goodness. This just got 3rd place in the Spice, Herb or Vegetable Beer category of a local competition.

19.25 lb 2 row
1.25 lb flaked oats
1.2 lb chocolate malt (cold steep)
0.9 lb roasted barley (cold steep)
0.65 lb black patent (cold steep)
0.5 lb crystal 120

1.25 oz Warrior 60 min (42 IBU)
1.25 oz Mt. Hood 30 min (13 IBU)
1.25 oz Mt. Hood 0 min

2.5 oz 100% cacao baker’s chocolate 15 min
4 oz cacao nib dry hop
4 oz coffee whole bean dry hop