"Cellaring" beer at room temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hal simmons

Reaction score
I'm interested in stashing away beer for years to see how it develops. The problem is that right now I don't have any way of keeping it chilled to optimum "cellaring" temperatures. If I'm storing beer in a dark closet at room temp (65-73 depending on time of year) what sort of results should I expect? I know the beer will age faster at warmer temps, but i'm wondering if i'll be able to keep beer this warm for 1-2 years with no problem. I mostly stash away Barleywines and strong Belgians.

It will age faster, and it will not be as stable, but it will age. If it was a beer that would improve under optimum conditions, it probably will improve under the conditions you described.

TL

I've cracked open some 6-7 month old light ales that were great.

They went to bottles from the keg and the only thing I noticed was that the carbonation seemed about 10% higher than at bottling time.

I think that returning the beer to room temps (68 degrees) for extended periods wakes the yeast up enough let them dry out the beer a little more.

Of course, this was from when I tended to rush my beers out of the primary/secondary into the kegs.

FSR402 - How's about sharing that Bourbon Barrel Stout recipe.

BierMuncher said:
FSR402 - How's about sharing that Bourbon Barrel Stout recipe.

I could share it. But when I do it again I'll cut the bourbon maybe in half. I like it but would like it more with less. Now the SWMBO thinks it needs more. lol

BierMuncher said:
I've cracked open some 6-7 month old light ales that were great.

They went to bottles from the keg and the only thing I noticed was that the carbonation seemed about 10% higher than at bottling time.

I think that returning the beer to room temps (68 degrees) for extended periods wakes the yeast up enough let them dry out the beer a little more.

Have you noticed any sediment in these bottles? Seems like that would be the smoking gun.

BlindLemonLars said:
Have you noticed any sediment in these bottles? Seems like that would be the smoking gun.
Yes indeed.

I'm expecting that since I know primary for three weeks and then cold condition for another two, that this issue would go away.

If I could refrigerate the bottles right off the bat, that would also take care of it...but that's not the title of this thread is it?? :D

Back