What is that keg doing in Goodwill?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, that is interesting. Beer lobbies are pretty powerful politically. I wonder why they don't work harder to correct this governmental tampering. If this was left up to free market economics the problem would be solved pretty easily I would imagine.

If it was up to free market economics, every keg out there really would be stolen. :p

Seems like all the problem is at the distributor level. If the breweries have to pay $150 for them new and then the deposit is only $50 then basically the "street value" of the keg is $50 or less. Does not matter what the breweries have to pay new. And sorry but no one cares who's property it "legally" is after they lost $50 on a deposit, it's theirs, they have it in their posssession and as I once heard that's 9/10 of the law.
Kind of hard to strike a balance here, require $150 for a deposit taht will recoup the total cost if not claimed and lose a ton of sales due to the high deposit cost, or maybe make the return system easier to facilitate more kegs coming back. Maybe a brewery buy-back program to give anyone returning one $50 each, that would save the breweries $100 on a new keg.
And to the OP, you sound like a rabid dog supporter of each brewery out there, no one cares that much, really, no one. Take that lawful-good alignment on outta here, no one's listening cleric. That's why the keg is at the goodwill, no one knows or cares about the law, even those who should be enforcing it.

I guess I should have sympathy for the small craft brewers, et. Al., but I don't. $10 a six Mack equals a free keg if you want it.

Boohoo if your lose 20% of your kegs per year, you will wrap that charge into your product, go out of business or make less profit.

Paid a little less than $15 for the keg I converted to a keggle at the scrap yard. Bought it as bulk metal. It was the best of the other 6 laying beside it. Both end rings dented in, would not fit my burner without major modification. Dented on the side, prolly only holds 14 gallon. If someone wants to pay me the deposit of $50.00 - 75.00 , I'll gladly give it to them for the cash. Don't know if it was originally stolen or not, know that I have a receipt that I bought it.

This doesn't help the topic, but not all available kegs are stolen. Even if the breweries name isn't ground off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back