band-aid beer into lambic?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abelseville

Reaction score
So a friend just gave me 2 1/2 cases of bad band-aid tasting ESB. She also makes cheese and we were suspecting lacto infection?? I know lacto is one of the bugs in lambic so question is am I right about the lacto causing this and can I dump it into a carboy and make a lambic out of it? I will have a wyeast lambic blend yeast cake available at the bottom of a carboy soon.

Thanks

Lactobacillus doesn't make beer phenolic, it makes it sour. The phenols are from another cause and lambics aren't known for their phenolic characteristics. However, it could still be an interesting experiment.

Band Aid is associated with 4-Ethylphenol, so I'd suspect brett rather than lacto. No reason not to try it, I guess, but whatever you end up with won't be Lambic anymore than you could make J Roget into champagne.

You can get some good funk mixing lacto and brett, I would give it a go, pitch some lacto, give it 6 months and try again!

DON'T JUST PITCH LAMBIC BLEND. IF THE BEER IS ALREADY INFECTED/CRAPPY, MAKING IT A LAMBIC WILL MAKE IT WORSE.

All newbies try this and are massively dissapointed.

Seriously. Don't do it. 98% of infections are terrible tasting, your not gonna make Cantillon, or even drinkable swill, by doing this.

Thanks for the advice. I guess all I have to lose is the carboy space at this point.

Your really gonna regret it, especially because the 30-45 IBUs in the ESB is going to clash terribly with the sourness... but go for it if you wanna waste 7 bucks and a year of a carboy

One of the most common reasons for a band-aid taste is chlorine in the brewing water.

Despite losing the carboy space, I say why not?! Homebrewing is all about doing what you want to do, so I say go for it buddy!!

No chlorine here. Well water and star-san for sanitizer. wouldn't cost me any more I've already got the yeast cake I was going to dump anyway.

Well crap. I read the whole thread and didn’t look at the date until the end (this happens a lot) and now I want to know how this turned out too.

Back