Should I be worried... ok, I'm worried

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dblynch

Reaction score
Got my 5 gallons of cider (brix of 1.050) from the orchard on Friday last week, added campden and let sit for 48+ hours. Pitched champagne yeast on Monday morning. I started the yeast in warm water and it appeared to be active. Now, 48 hours later, not a bubble. The temp in my place is about 65 degrees. Never had this problem before. What's going on here? Any thoughts are appreciated.

I'm betting you have a small leak in your bucket and the CO2 is escaping before it can build up enough pressure to make the airlock bloop.

You may be able to see some bubbles rising to the surface, but another way to check is to open the lid, stick you nose over the bucket and take a sniff. If your nose gets burned, then you have CO2 and therefore fermentation is commencing.

If you think you have a leak what homercidal said it´s true but be carefull I did something like that and I almost passed out. Co2 can really knock you out.

I've never made cider but I'm willing to bet your good to go if the yeast was good when you put it in there should be no reason it's not good now. Give it a few weeks, take a hydrometer gravity reading and I bet you are down to where ever it is that cider is supposed to finish at.

I think that I will just let it go and see what happens in a few weeks. At worst, I'm out 20 bucks worth of good cider. Thanks for the responses, folks.

I think that I will just let it go and see what happens in a few weeks. At worst, I'm out 20 bucks worth of good cider. Thanks for the responses, folks.

Of course the other, less obvious option would be to measure the gravity with a hydrometer. Rumour has it this is a viable method of knowing whether fermentation is actually taking place... ;)

I had a similar concern earlier this week. I was using 1118 (I like 'em crisp) and I didn't have bubbles at almost 24 hours. I know that's not very long, but 1118 has always been QUICK for me. After I go getting concerned, I took a look and saw that I didn't push the rubber stopper in far enough to make a seal. When I pulled it off to check (and saw bubbles) I put it back better and the bubbling started.

Latest posts

Back