Packing brew for weekly business travel?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

av8er79

Reaction score
I travel every week for business and would like to bring some homebrew along. Glass bottles are to heavy and bulky. I have thought about using a Gatorade bottle or other plastic bottle but would prefer not to carry the bulk after it is empty. This has led to to consider the plastic bladders that backpackers use. It would be easier to pack when full and roll up when empty.
Has anyone used something similar to this?

http://cascadedesigns.com/platypus/wine-preservation/platypreserve/product

I would fill with my keg the night before leaving and would consume it within about 48 hours.

probably won't get it past TSA. (I'm assuming your are the average biz traveler who only does carry on luggage).

As an aside, is it really worth the trouble?

How could you keep carb in that? Why not bring some 20oz. soda bottles counter-pressure filled? You can toss afterwards but they're less heavy than glass and less valuable.

Getting liquids through TSA is not an issue. My effort would be unscrewing the top and taking 30 seconds to fill it out of a keg.
As far as carbonation, I would be filling it from a keg and understand the bag to be an airtight seal. Wouldn't it be similar to filling a growler that holds carbonation for a couple days? I was hoping to run into someone that has actually tried it.

av8er79 said:
Getting liquids through TSA is not an issue. My effort would be unscrewing the top and taking 30 seconds to fill it out of a keg.
As far as carbonation, I would be filling it from a keg and understand the bag to be an airtight seal. Wouldn't it be similar to filling a growler that holds carbonation for a couple days? I was hoping to run into someone that has actually tried it.

No way you could do this. The bladder on the inside would burst.

You need something that can withstand the pressure as it changes due to environmental variables, motion, etc.

i think it'd lose carb, because the bag would just expand. when you bottle from the keg, CO2 escapes and fills the headspace. it builds pressure until an equilibrium is reached.

if the bag keeps expanding it'll keep losing carb

to the other point, you can put alcohol/glass/whatever in your checked baggage without issue. you cannot carry on however.

I travel every week for business and would like to bring some homebrew along. Glass bottles are to heavy and bulky. I have thought about using a Gatorade bottle or other plastic bottle but would prefer not to carry the bulk after it is empty. This has led to to consider the plastic bladders that backpackers use. It would be easier to pack when full and roll up when empty.

I would fill with my keg the night before leaving and would consume it within about 48 hours.

A plastic bladder will work as long as it is full and does not expand any more.

I use Tomato and Grapefruit juice bottles: 1/2 gallon. They seem to seal fine and if I decide to dump them it is no big loss. (I have 70 real growlers but for camping they are great)

DPB

I'm confused... if you aren't traveling by air why not just use some 1L or 2L soda bottles? When you are done just recycle them. You don't have to keep them. The other thing is that I assume you are keeping the beer cold and not in a 100 degree car. So you will have a cooler....what ever fits in the cooler when full will obviously fit when empty.

Or, you could just buy beer wherever you're going, espeically if work is paying for it. Unless you're out in the middle of nowhere, you can surely find something worth drinking either at a pub or store.

Guys, I think he's a pilot. So he can probably carry whatever he wants with him in terms of TSA...but he doesn't have much space to do it.

I still say soda bottles. 20oz. or 1 liter. Done and done.

Thanks for the 2 or 3 helpful posts. Why do people feel the need to answer questions that were never asked? I do travel by plane. I am exempt from the liquid rule but thanks for reminding me. I am often in the middle of no where and only Bud is available. My employer does not pay for my beer so hotel bar is a rip off. think I will just buy one and let you guys know how it works out.

Thanks for the 2 or 3 helpful posts. Why do people feel the need to answer questions that were never asked? I do travel by plane. I am exempt from the liquid rule but thanks for reminding me. I am often in the middle of no where and only Bud is available. My employer does not pay for my beer so hotel bar is a rip off. think I will just buy one and let you guys know how it works out.

Relax dude, it's an internet forum. Most of the posts were trying to help and we didn't know the full details of your situation. And lighthearted, sarcastic posts are commonplace. They mean no disrespect. You got a lot of solid input, or at least people wanting to help you think through it.

A filled pouch would probably take up the same amount of space as a 20oz or 1L bottle, but you can recycle the bottle when done with it, I'd go for the cheap and easy route. Plus, you know the pop bottles can hold carbonation. You could re use a pouch, but why bother? I doubt that the pouches would hold carbonation well, they haven't held pop very carbonated for me (Eddie Bauer collapsible pouches), but it can't hurt to try them, I guess.

What are you flying?

Do you use an iPad for your plates? If not, you're in! Get an iPad, load Foreflight, throw out the 40 pounds of Jepp books. Now you have quite a bit of space to store some traveling homebrew:)

I know you mentioned the bulk of empties, but a couple growlers or even a gallon jug with the screw top would work. Heck, a gallon jug is less than $5. It may be worth it to use and leave it, cost of enjoying good beer in the boonies.

Well excuse me Mr. Pilot Man, for not answering your question in as direct and speedy way possible.

How bout this...you are smart enough to fly a plane, figure it out for yourself.

I just took a six pack on vacation with me. I just wrapped up each individual bottle in newspaper and then burried it in my clothes in my checked luggage. No issues.

Well that explains a lot...you never said you travel by plane. I was envisioning you being a long haul trucker.

Back