DIY or Buy n Build? Water Filter ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kurly

Reaction score
Since I've moved and have different water, I noticed with the first batch in my new place the god-awful amount of chloride's they use in the water. My IPA has a pretty significant band-aid taste to it and I'd like to get rid of it.

I did a search on here and found a lot of input. Some suggested using an in-line RV filter and others were gung-ho on a filtration kit sold through MoreBeer.com. Then I read a couple of other threads that said that they couldn't make the water filter cheaper than what MoreBeer can sell it for, so why not go with them.

So for those who've either made it yourself through parts from Home Depot or Lowes, did you find that you could do so cheaper than what MoreBeer sells it for? I put together a parts list and compared it and it looks like MoreBeer can source it cheaper than I can. I'm just having a hard time believing that's the case.

Any thoughts or input?

I have well water but still bought a cheap RV water filter that connects to a garden hose for like 20 bucks on Amazon. My beer tastes fine (it tasted fine before too but better safe than sorry).

The inline filters are more expensive in the long run because you cannot replace the filter cartridge, you have to replace the whole thing.

I bought mine from Mcmaster and replace the filter once a year.

I made mine using parts from Lowes for about $30, but that was a couple years ago, and I used a couple bucks worth of fittings I already had. It looks like pretty much the same thing as the morebeer model except the housing is white instead of clear.

I made mine using parts from Lowes for about $30, but that was a couple years ago, and I used a couple bucks worth of fittings I already had. It looks like pretty much the same thing as the morebeer model except the housing is white instead of clear.

Same for me. About $30+whatever fittings you will need to hook it up. There is no need for a brewing-specific filter. Just something that assures you it is removing chlorine and chloramines. I think activated carbon does the trick.

Hole house filter from HD that gets out chlorine, sediment and other crap. I use it in my brew rig. Connects to the hose from outside w/ some minor fittings and dumps right into the kettles for brew. No issues and you can change out the filter when needed.
Dont short cut the price...your water is the foundation to good brew.

This is the link to mine that i built. I wanted to use filtered water for brewing and be able to bypass the filter (that is rated for like 10,000 gallons, maybe less, been drinking a bit today) for cleaning. Also have hot water well above what the filter is rated for. So built this for about 30 for the bypass and i dont remember for the filter. Cheers

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/water-filter-w-bypassng-295701/

I have well water but still bought a cheap RV water filter that connects to a garden hose for like 20 bucks on Amazon. My beer tastes fine (it tasted fine before too but better safe than sorry).

I did this too. I bought a RV carbon filter at Walmart. I think it was around $20 if I remember correct. I run the water thru it nice and slow, so it filters well. Another precaution I always take is to collect my water about 3 or 4 days before brew day and just let it sit in buckets without lids so any chlorine that was left after filtering will dissipait..

Get a Big Berkey. You can filter almost any type of water (can't do sea water) and if they apacalypse comes...you'll be all set. ;)

Back