electric MT using Electric Fryer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adeering

Reaction score
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002JQ3KQ4/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

So I bought one of these on sale this last thanksgiving, and while it worked it didnt get hot enough for my liking and gonna stick with propane for frying a turkey. However I recently switched to BIAB and thought this would be perfect for the mashing, I would just use the heating element out of it, as the spigot on it sucks and takes forever to transfer and can just put the heating element in my BK.

What im wondering is do you think it would be possible to wire this up to a temp controller. The current temp setting goes in increments of above 175 and goes from 150 to 175 so wouldnt be able to set the mash temps i want.

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.amazon.com/Cajun-Injector-Electric-Turkey-Fryer/dp/B002JQ3KQ4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1329436681&sr=8-1

So I bought one of these on sale this last thanksgiving, and while it worked it didnt get hot enough for my liking and gonna stick with propane for frying a turkey. However I recently switched to BIAB and thought this would be perfect for the mashing, I would just use the heating element out of it, as the spigot on it sucks and takes forever to transfer and can just put the heating element in my BK.

What im wondering is do you think it would be possible to wire this up to a temp controller. The current temp setting goes in increments of above 175 and goes from 150 to 175 so wouldnt be able to set the mash temps i want.

Seems like you could crank it to 175-200 and a controller with heat function would likely keep it near your target temp. You could decrease cycle time by increasing the immersion heaters temp over 200 but I'm not sure at what point you'd have to start considering scorching.

Not sure how long the immersion heater is but it looks like its only designed to submerge 6 inches at most. Am I wrong there? What are you using for a BK?

Looks like one reviewer on amazon loved it for brewing.

it can be submerged pretty deep, i would say a little over a foot, the controller box sits on the outside of the pot so the part where the metal connects to the box at the top sits on the top of the pot.

Im using a 8 gal pot with a ball valve currently, and a propane tank to heat it.

the problem with a controller is it would cut power to the control box and when it put power back on it doesnt automatically start heating again you have to push the buttons so defeats the purpose of having it automatically control the temp

it can be submerged pretty deep, i would say a little over a foot, the controller box sits on the outside of the pot so the part where the metal connects to the box at the top sits on the top of the pot.

Im using a 8 gal pot with a ball valve currently, and a propane tank to heat it.

the problem with a controller is it would cut power to the control box and when it put power back on it doesnt automatically start heating again you have to push the buttons so defeats the purpose of having it automatically control the temp

You'd need to interrupt one leg from the control box internal relay and the element itself and control that leg with your external temp controller. This could be tricky and potentially dangerous if not performed properly. Especially since that unit it UL listed, so getting in to that liquid tight control box may be extremely difficult.

Another potential problem that could arise when using this as a MT is that the manufacturer warns not to remove the immersion heater (or drain) unless the liquid temperature is below 100* F. This would suggest it's a high density element and could easily burn out if dry fired or drained too early. They also recommend avoiding exposing the control box to precipitation.

Im going to try it and manually manage the temp, but it should hold 150 at least and i can change it between 150-175 to keep it at what i need if need be, i already own it so cant hurt, just have to tape down the safety switch so i can use it with my pot instead of the one it comes with cause the drain is way to slow.

Back