Cider out of concord grape / apple juice blend

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WarrantedFED

Reaction score
So I noticed this 100% not from concentrate concord grape / apple mixture. No other ingredients added. And I think to myself that I bet I could add some Nottingham and end up with something drinkable.

Has anyone tried this? If not, would you care to speculate on the results?

image-1957547025.jpg

Attachments

• image-443408919.jpg
    image-443408919.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 591
I say try it if it's cheap. Just look out for preservatives such as sorbates and sulphites. I can't speculate on how it will taste, I have only used store bought juice twice and both times didn't turn out too spectacular. Though, with some aging on it it might be pretty great :)

I've done it! I made wine, not cider, by adding sugar and getting the OG up to about 1.090 or so and using wine yeast. But you can do it, and I bet it'll be very drinkable. It'll ferment dry, so it'll be tart tasting at first. But you can stabilize and sweeten if you'd like.

oldmate said:
I say try it if it's cheap. Just look out for preservatives such as sorbates and sulphites. I can't speculate on how it will taste, I have only used store bought juice twice and both times didn't turn out too spectacular. Though, with some aging on it it might be pretty great :)

That was what caught my eye, it was just pure grape and apple!

I regularly use Albertsons three apple blend to make hard cider, tree top is usually quite dry.

Yooper said:
I've done it! I made wine, not cider, by adding sugar and getting the OG up to about 1.090 or so and using wine yeast. But you can do it, and I bet it'll be very drinkable. It'll ferment dry, so it'll be tart tasting at first. But you can stabilize and sweeten if you'd like.

I think I might just go ahead and do it. I won't make a wine out if it, mostly because I haven't done that yet. I'll carb the heck out of it and let it age out.

-Will

Latest posts

Back