Smack Pack

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grüner Brauer

Reaction score
I brewed my second batch tonight, everything went smooth, except with the smackpack. it was wyeast belgian ardenes, i smacked the heck out of it, i think it swelled a little, but when i was going to pitch it into the wort i saw the inner pack was only somewhat emptied, so i pitched the contents of both packs. what effect will this have??

A slightly slower start, but no big deal.

You'll be going within 24-72 hours.

;)

I had the same thing happen to me. it was like the inner pack was manufactured wrong. The fermentation went fine with mine it just took a bit longer to get going.

This is why I always make starters, usually about three days ahead of my brew and especially if I'm going to "step up" the starter. I've been doing 1/2 to 3/4 gallon starters and have had more complete and quicker fermentations ever since.

I highly recommend it.

:mug:

I had that happen with a smack pack recently, too. All that happened was that it took a little longer to take off. Once it did get started I had a long and vigorous fermentation. Bottom line: Relax, Don't Worry.... you know the rest.

I have a hell of a time getting those smack packs to break. The last time I thought I was going to burst the outer packaging. I wish I knew the secret.

It must have activated somthing because its less that 12 hours after i pitched it and its already fermenting pretty vigorously.

Lie it on the counter and trap the bubble into one of the corners, then smack it with the palm of your hand (sounds dirty, right?) Shake it every couple of hours until it's swelled sufficiently.

Cheesefood said:
Lie it on the counter and trap the bubble into one of the corners, then smack it with the palm of your hand (sounds dirty, right?) Shake it every couple of hours until it's swelled sufficiently.
Only sounds dirty to you...

Well OK now that I think about it it does to me too...

That is because your LHBS got that yeast in, on Wednesday. (I should know, I checked it in.) Fresh yeast works best.

Oh, let us know how your Belgian turns out. I haven't tasted that one yet.

steve

I smacked smack pack yesterday and it started to swell but I put it back into the fridge after my carboy broke. How long is it good for in the fridge now that I activated it?

Cheesefood said:
Shake it every couple of hours until it's swelled sufficiently.

This is the part I thought sounded dirty. :D

I personally use the tubes White Labs yeast, no starter, proper temps. and get quick starts frequently.

Latest posts

Back