A Solution: Dumping on a Yeast Cake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

5gBrewer

Reaction score
After a few quick measurements, a trip to HomeDepot, and $50, I was able to put this fine fermentation closet together! Now, if one of my beers decides to go nuclear, the mess will be confined, and it will be easy to clean up!

This is our downstairs bathroom shower. We never use or ever used it. In fact, this is where we kept the litter box for our cats! In case they pissed up the joint real bad, it would be easy to clean. Well, the possibility of exploding beer seemed like a bigger issue these days... so I converted it, baby!

FermentationCloset003640x480.jpg

I made the cover a custom fit! The surface on the inside is glossed for easy cleaning, in the event I ever need to clean it.

FermentationCloset010640x480.jpg

The underside of the cover:

FermentationCloset006640x480.jpg

The door is a 32"x80" plywood. We spray painted it this nasty maroon color, but we're going to decorate it with some other fun stuff soon. I added a handle, and a locking latch closer to the top so the cats can't open the door!

FermentationCloset001640x480.jpg

All I need to do is add some plumbers foam to seal up some up the door trim, and get a portable space heater for some temp control.

Taking it to the next level boys and girls!

5gB

That's a great idea! I'm currently fermenting and bottle conditioning my beer in a shower stall just like that for similar reasons. The one I'm using all ready has a glass shower door, I could add a removable top and really control the temp for fermenting or conditioning. I'm inspired, SWMBO won't be, but she never uses that shower anyway. It's almost a walk in cooler!

Baron von BeeGee said:
I was thinking the cat was saying, "That case of DFH looks like a great place for a dump!"

Yes, Baron, I thought the same, hence my addition of the lock-latch ;) All joking aside, they seem to understand that the litter box is now next to the fermentation closet.

Today my father-in-law and I installed those cabinets shown in the last picture (the ones sitting to the left of the fermentation closet). Now I'll have some more room for storing beer supplies!

My next installation is going to be some wire shelving in the large closet to the right of the fermentation closet (probably another $50 or under job). Currently, that is where all of my brew supplies are, including a 6.5g bucket of my Winter Wit fermenting away. This new shelving will give me a ton of extra space for storing lighter brew supplies and such.

5gB

Looks like a nice addition to your house!

With the litter box so close, you're all set to brew:
Cat P!ss Pilsner
Kitty Poo Porter
Feline Framboise (open-fermented, of course!)

Back