Obligatory "First AG brew" thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skadalajara

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Arizona, the northernmost state in Mexico.
I chose BM's Co3C as my jumping off point.
Over the summer and fall I collected 2 50l kegs, a 10g Rubbermaid cooler and all the fittings and thermometer.
Single infusion/batch sparge.
Hit all my numbers dead on without having tried all that hard. (I was more interested in finding out how my equipment behaves than getting everything perfect.)
Let it sit on the cake for 3 weeks and racked it to a cornie yesterday. Hydro sample tasted like an MGD with a lot more flavor.
Used a Kölsch yeast, which cleaned up beautifully. It was nearly clear flowing through the racking cane.
No more extract or partial boils for me. :)
Next up: an American amber.

I just finished my 8th AG and I had more problems on it than I did on the first 7.
Made a strong scotch ale and got low efficency.I guess i should stirred the grain a little better before sparging. I pretty much filled the cooler to the top and the bottom grain turned into a solid cake. Need a bigger mash-tun for a bigger beer evidently.

Back