lager yeast starter help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

craigrigney

Reaction score
First of all, I have never done this before. I have been homebrewing for 3 years and decided to start harvesting and reusing yeast. My first attempt will be a lager yeast. I read numerus posting on here, but I feel like I am missing something. I went to Mrmalty and it says to re-pitch a 5.25 gallon batch lager with OG of 1.048, on a relatively thick yeast, I will need around 110ML of yeast cake. This is half a mason jar (the half pint). This seems like a ton of yeast considering my dumps produce a small 1/8 to 1/4 inch layer. Is this right? I know it takes much more lager yeast than ale, but this would take me like 5 dumps just to get 1/2 that amount. I think this is also assuming no starter. Any help is appreciated.

you can minimize the number of bumps needed by adding more yeast of the same variety that your using.

what do you mean dumps? I use each culture of yeast about three times before I throw it out. Don't get technical about this pitching rate thing.

By dumps, I am referring to the dump valve of my conical fermenter. I will "dump" it into a glass jar (sanitized) where I am trying to get a feel for how much yeast I get vs. how much I use. To be honest, I have not really read into the pitch rate thing, I am just trying to learn how to harvest my yeast

Latest posts

Back